Trooper Thomas Banbury PALMER, Lord Harris' 1st 11 Boer War

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Trooper Thomas Banbury PALMER, Lord Harris' 1st 11 Boer War

Postby Rekmr » 12 Feb 2012 15:06

Hello there, brand new to this fascinating and excellent site. My interest has been fired up of recent whilst delving into my ancestors history. On talking to my Aunt she relayed some fascinating stories about my Great Grandfather. Thomas Banbury Palmer. Some almost mythical, a womaniser, maverick, entrepreneur, gambler and drinker! Someone who would rather have a fight than a hot meal! Her words!. My type of person! I remember from my Grandmas house a framed box containing, a number of live shells, lead bullets, an african pipe, a tin of chocolates a ribbon along the top stating "The Relief of Ladysmith". Above this as far as I can remember was a document citing the freedom of Canterbury awarded to Trooper T.B. Palmer. Of which my Aunt has the possession. So my research started and have found thus far that he was a member of The Royal East Kent Mounted Rifles and volunteered to serve in South Africa in 1899. He was amongst the group known as Lord Harris's first Eleven. A picture exists of this band with one obvious candidate whom I believe is my Great Grandfather - Spitting image of my Father. I am planning a visit to the Museum at Hever Castle in March and was wondering if anyone has any relevant information either towards Trooper T.B. Palmer or his regiments in Africa. It all gets a bit confusing on arrival in Africa they joined The South African Light Horse amongst other volunteer forces and then begins to get a bit blurry for me. As I am new to all this research and history any help would be hugely appreciated.
Rekmr

Re: Hi Everyone

Postby Mark » 12 Feb 2012 20:37

Welcome to the forum! :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Trooper Thomas Banbury PALMER, Lord Harris' 1st 11 Boer

Postby QSAMIKE » 24 Mar 2012 05:36

Hello Rekmr

Sorry but can only find two members of the South African Light Horse as shown below.....

Palmer, D. 832, Tpr., Slightly wounded at Colenso. 15 Dec 1899.

Palmer, H. 2807, Tpr., Discharged 24 Jun 02 time expired.

Mike
Mike C.
Past - President Calgary Military Historical Society
Member OMRS 1591
QSAMIKE

Postby SWB » 24 Mar 2012 08:03

Hello Rekmr

Very interesting!

I know of the REKMR from a memorial in Herne Bay to the volunteers from the District - no TB Palmer.

I also have pictures of a QSA to 825 AD Butcher REKMR with clasps for the Relief of Ladysmith - this has always stumped me.

But now I have found him and TB Palmer on the roll of the SALH. Also there is no notation to indicate they are REKMR. I imagine some of the men on the Herne Bay memorial may be amongst this lot.

Therefore you should find attestation papers and perhaps an entry in the discharge books - class WO126 and WO127 at the National Archives.

Would like to learn more about theses chaps.

Regards
Meurig
Attachments
Butcher Rl EKent MR VI.jpg
Butcher Rl EKent MR VI.jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Butcher Rl EKent MR.jpg
Butcher Rl EKent MR.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Butcher Rl EKent MR I.jpg
Butcher Rl EKent MR I.jpg (17.4 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby heliwest » 24 Mar 2012 15:15

Lord Harris was the Honorary Colonel of the REKMR and he also had substantial interests in South Africa being a mate of Cecil Rhodes. He was advocating the formation of a unit of mounted volunteers which eventually became the Imperial Yeomanry at the start of the Boer War. Eleven NCOs and men of the unit set off to South Africa and were indeed known as Lord Harris's eleven. He was at the time known for his cricketing abilities above all else. So in many ways they were the forerunners of the whole Imperial Yeomanry movement. They served with the SALH and had an exciting war. They returned to the UK at the end of 1900, one died of disease and another stayed and took a commission. They had a dinner in 1913 and obviously kept in touch.
If possible you will find further information at the National Archives at WO 126/131-138, WO 105/12 reports and despatches and WO 100/ 274 medal roll.

Joe West
heliwest
Participating Member

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors