missing from muster rolls

Please post all research regarding individual Victorian soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

missing from muster rolls

Postby jrdrury » 04 Jun 2017 18:15

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help with a query.

In researching my GGGrandfather have been through all the muster rolls for the 2nd Bttn Rifle Brigade from 1853 up to 1871

He is on every roll with the exception of April to September 1864. In March and October he is on the roll in Meerut but disappears for these middle month.

Anyone any ideas why that might be, i can't find any annotation of him anywhere.

Any suggestions much appreciated .
Thanks
James
jrdrury
New Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 15:31

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby Frogsmile » 04 Jun 2017 20:24

jrdrury wrote:Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help with a query.

In researching my GGGrandfather have been through all the muster rolls for the 2nd Bttn Rifle Brigade from 1853 up to 1871

He is on every roll with the exception of April to September 1864. In March and October he is on the roll in Meerut but disappears for these middle month.

Anyone any ideas why that might be, i can't find any annotation of him anywhere.

Any suggestions much appreciated .
Thanks
James


Have you checked to see if he is listed under sick/hospital? If not an 'effective' he would be listed separately. If units are based on the plains in the hot season, their sick were often sent to a hill station hospital, such as Kasauli, Simla, etc.
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby jrdrury » 06 Jun 2017 13:03

hi,

Many thanks for the reply. hmm I couldn't see anything in the muster roll regarding being in hospital for this period - he is listed in hospital on a couple of occasions Sept 1859 (lucknow) and Oct 1860 (subathoo) but on these occasions he still appears on the muster with 'in hospital' in the relevant month column.

I guess if he was in Meerut at the time and was sent to the hills he might not appear but I couldn't find anything. I'll have another look ....

Many thanks for the help - much appreciated. ...
jrdrury
New Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 15:31

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby Frogsmile » 06 Jun 2017 13:28

jrdrury wrote:hi,

Many thanks for the reply. hmm I couldn't see anything in the muster roll regarding being in hospital for this period - he is listed in hospital on a couple of occasions Sept 1859 (lucknow) and Oct 1860 (subathoo) but on these occasions he still appears on the muster with 'in hospital' in the relevant month column.

I guess if he was in Meerut at the time and was sent to the hills he might not appear but I couldn't find anything. I'll have another look ....

Many thanks for the help - much appreciated. ...


Every unit had a hospital sergeant and regimental surgeon. If he was in the barracks hospital he would still be on unit strength and listed as sick, but if sent away to a hill station or Deolali then I think he would be listed separately. As you have implied he can't have just disappeared between those months, he must be in India somewhere.
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby jrdrury » 06 Jun 2017 19:03

many thanks

i had this info taken form papers of the day re delhi sores .... the battalion ws stationed in delhi at the time ...

‘… Rifle Brigade; 2nd Batt – Delhi March 28 – This Battalion marched out of Delhi on Saturday last, the wing of the 38th having arrived on the previous day. It was quite distressing to see the number of fine looking faces disfigured by Delhi sores and strapped with plasters.
Delhi, April4 – The last of the Rifles went on Saturday morning taking with them what a punster would call indelible marks of Delhi city, in the shape of those woefully disfiguring sores that baffle the skills of the while medical services combined. ……it was painful to see the men, women and children of the Rifle Brigade as they marched out, still they were very little, if any worse than the 88th and 82nd when they left.
(Naval & Military Gazette and Weekly Chronicle of the United Services May 14th 1864)
‘…. The excess has been due in a great measure to the prevalence if the ulcer known as the ‘Delhi Sore’ in the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade and in the 38th Regiment which relived it at Delhi in the end of march. The admission under the head of ‘ulcer’ in the former corps (RB) amounted to 368 in a strength of 912…..'


I also found an article in a paper from April 1856 relating to the hot springs at Sonah being beneficial to the to the 2nd Bttn rifle brigade in the treatment of the condition, Sonah is about 35 miles form Delhi although the article is a year later its reflecting on a past treatment so may fit the 1864 time frame he vanishes ....

'... the 38th will arrive at Subathoo about the end of February, and the men worst afflicted with Delhi sores will be sent to the hot springs at Joureh. As the springs at Sonah were found, in some measure, beneficial to the men of the 2nd Batt Rifle Brigade, it is worth while to give those near Subathoo a trial during the spring and summer months ....'

May be he was sent there to recover or assist in some way ... will have a hunt around ... seems logical if stationed in delhi, its close by, some were sen there and it fits the time frame ...
jrdrury
New Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 15:31

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby Frogsmile » 09 Jun 2017 11:42

jrdrury wrote:many thanks

i had this info taken form papers of the day re delhi sores .... the battalion ws stationed in delhi at the time ...

‘… Rifle Brigade; 2nd Batt – Delhi March 28 – This Battalion marched out of Delhi on Saturday last, the wing of the 38th having arrived on the previous day. It was quite distressing to see the number of fine looking faces disfigured by Delhi sores and strapped with plasters.
Delhi, April4 – The last of the Rifles went on Saturday morning taking with them what a punster would call indelible marks of Delhi city, in the shape of those woefully disfiguring sores that baffle the skills of the while medical services combined. ……it was painful to see the men, women and children of the Rifle Brigade as they marched out, still they were very little, if any worse than the 88th and 82nd when they left.
(Naval & Military Gazette and Weekly Chronicle of the United Services May 14th 1864)
‘…. The excess has been due in a great measure to the prevalence if the ulcer known as the ‘Delhi Sore’ in the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade and in the 38th Regiment which relived it at Delhi in the end of march. The admission under the head of ‘ulcer’ in the former corps (RB) amounted to 368 in a strength of 912…..'


I also found an article in a paper from April 1856 relating to the hot springs at Sonah being beneficial to the to the 2nd Bttn rifle brigade in the treatment of the condition, Sonah is about 35 miles form Delhi although the article is a year later its reflecting on a past treatment so may fit the 1864 time frame he vanishes ....

'... the 38th will arrive at Subathoo about the end of February, and the men worst afflicted with Delhi sores will be sent to the hot springs at Joureh. As the springs at Sonah were found, in some measure, beneficial to the men of the 2nd Batt Rifle Brigade, it is worth while to give those near Subathoo a trial during the spring and summer months ....'

May be he was sent there to recover or assist in some way ... will have a hunt around ... seems logical if stationed in delhi, its close by, some were sen there and it fits the time frame ...


Yes, I think that treatment at the springs, requiring him to be away from his battalion would explain his absence from the normal roll, although his status would have been recorded somewhere on a list of non-effectives for the duration of his absence.

The sores relate to Cutaneous Leishmaniasis caused by sandfly bites, you can read about it and see how they looked here: https://web.stanford.edu/class/humbio10 ... aneous.htm. Salt water at the springs would have brought some relief. The sores were/are a common ailment for soldiers (and their families) in climates where sandflies proliferate.
Last edited by Frogsmile on 16 Jun 2017 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby jrdrury » 15 Jun 2017 20:49

yes sounds truly terrible .....

i'll try and find the listing for non effectives ... any suggestions where to start, have been all through the muster ...

cheers
james
jrdrury
New Member
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2015 15:31

Re: missing from muster rolls

Postby Frogsmile » 16 Jun 2017 12:20

jrdrury wrote:yes sounds truly terrible .....

i'll try and find the listing for non effectives ... any suggestions where to start, have been all through the muster ...

cheers
james


I am sorry that I cannot help further, but it might be worthwhile making general enquiries regarding the policy and procedures of that time at the Museum of Military Medicine: https://museumofmilitarymedicine.org.uk ... -enquires/

Caveat: Take care to speak/communicate with someone who has studied the subject and not just a volunteer museum worker, who might not be familiar with the procedures of such a long time ago and yet be loath to admit it.

POSTAL ADDRESS

The Museum of Military Medicine
Keogh Barracks
Ash Vale
Aldershot
GU12 5RQ

When: 9:30am–3:30pm (Mon-Fri)

Where: GU12 5RQ (Sat Nav: GU16 6DD)

Admission: Free
User avatar
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow
 
Posts: 4632
Joined: 25 Jan 2011 20:17
Location: Wiltshire, England


Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest