The 58th Regiment of the Foot

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

The 58th Regiment of the Foot

Postby Judy O'Grady » 30 Dec 2014 08:05

I am interested in any aspects of the movement of the 58th Regiment of the Foot in India 1864-1875. I have traced a partial routing (Calcutta, Benares, Darjeeling, Allahabad and Sialkot) but have gaps to fill in. I am also interested in the port of departure from India used in 1874 or 1875 when the return trip to India was able to traverse the Suez Canal unlike the outbound journey around Africa. Might other users have information to share? TIA.
Judy O'Grady

Re: The 58th Regiment of the Foot

Postby Maureene » 31 Dec 2014 07:53

The regimental history may contain the details you are looking for
History of the Northamptonshire Regiment 1742-1934 by Lt Colonel Russell Gurney.
Also available on microfilm, see details in the FIBIS Fibiwiki page 58th Regiment of Foot
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/58th_Regiment_of_Foot

You could also look at the FIBIS Fibiwiki page British Army, section locating a regiment
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/British ... a_regiment

The Regimental Museum (details from the first link above) may also be another source.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Judy O'Grady » 01 Jan 2015 02:19

Thank you, Maureene. Your suggestions were very helpful. Alas, the regimental museum in Northampton has very little. I think the WO12 collection at the PRO is what I need to explore next. Perhaps other forum members will have additional ideas to suggest.
Judy O'Grady

Postby Judy O'Grady » 03 Jan 2015 08:02

Maureen's excellent recommendations led to the exciting discovery that the 58th Regiment was in Nowshera in 1873.

I am also looking for photos of the regiment during the period 1864 - 1875 if anyone has any suggestions for me.
Thanks,
Judy O'Grady
Judy O'Grady

Postby Maureene » 03 Jan 2015 08:53

The FIBIS Fibiwiki has pages such as Nowshera, as it has for most of the other towns which were (major) cantonments
http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Nowshera

if the Museum holding information for the 58th Regiment of the Foot is unable to help, you may have difficulty obtaining photographs, noting that photographs for this period (1864 - 1875) are probably relatively rare, as photography was probably not generally available at this time. However you could look at websites for the National Army Museum, Imperial War Museums, British Library etc, which may hold photographs, which are not available online

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Judy O'Grady » 31 Jan 2015 10:08

Thanks for all your good suggestions, Maureen. I wonder whether you or any other members will have any suggestions for sources on the routes regiments would have taken from Allahabad to the NW Frontier circa 1870 and for the return to England from the NW Frontier in 1874. My guess for the latter is by land via Karachi or Mumbai and then by ship through the newly Suez Canal.

As for movements over land, a march? Army families were travelling with the regiment during this period. I'm curious to know what form of transport, if any, may have been used for the movement of families and their personal effects if the regiment was on foot.
Best regards,
Judy
Judy O'Grady

Postby Frogsmile » 19 May 2015 18:48

Judy O'Grady wrote:Thanks for all your good suggestions, Maureen. I wonder whether you or any other members will have any suggestions for sources on the routes regiments would have taken from Allahabad to the NW Frontier circa 1870 and for the return to England from the NW Frontier in 1874. My guess for the latter is by land via Karachi or Mumbai and then by ship through the newly Suez Canal.

As for movements over land, a march? Army families were travelling with the regiment during this period. I'm curious to know what form of transport, if any, may have been used for the movement of families and their personal effects if the regiment was on foot.
Best regards,
Judy

They moved by bullock cart Judy, and also walked alongside. Life was tough and they were tough, although vulnerable to disease. If you search the term bullock cart within the forum you will find some images.
One other possible source of photos is the Northampton Museum Library (accessible online), which holds a collection of the local regiments photos, although mainly I think late 19thC, early 20thC.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Maureene » 20 May 2015 09:30

I have found two articles relating to the cholera epidemic of the 58th Regiment in Allahabad in 1869.

"The Relative Health Of The Right And Left Wings Of The 58th Regiment", page 346 Report of the Army Medical Department, Great Britain, Volume 11 1869.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=wH ... J&pg=PA346 Google Books

India: Bengal. Report by C. Macnamara, Medical Officer-in-Charge of the "Chandnie" Hospital, Calcutta, and Surgeon to the Ophthalmic Hospital. Contains references to the 58th Regiment from page 88, and from page 101
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=fx ... AJ&pg=PA87 (from "Reports on the progress of practical and scientific medicine", ed. by H. Dobell, Volume 2‬, 1871 Google Books)

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby Judy O'Grady » 10 Jul 2015 21:09

Belated thanks for your recommendations, Maureen.
Much appreciated,
Judy
Judy O'Grady

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901