Illustrated London News

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

Illustrated London News

Postby rclpillinger » 01 Feb 2015 21:22

I am soon to publish a brief valedictory of Colonel Charles Manners Wood, that my Grandfather wrote in the Tenth Royal Hussars Gazette in 1909, and it he recounts Colonel Wood's encounter with Ghazi tribesman on a ridge near Fattehabad in 1879. The Gahzi had the better of him until Lieutenant Fisher hit him with the butt of his rifle, and Pte. Hackett finished him off with his sword.

This was apparently pictured in the Illustrated London Gazette at the time, but I cannot find it. Does anyone have a link I can copy into the article?

Richard
rclpillinger

Re: Illustrated London News

Postby Stuart_Bates » 03 Feb 2015 02:43

Richard,

I think you mean the Illustrated London News where in the 1879 issue here http://www.iln.org.uk/iln_years/year/1879.htm

I found this -

May 17th

The Afghan War; An incident in the Battle of Futtehabad. April 2nd. Features Captain Manners C Wood, 10th Hussars being saved by Lt Fisher, 10th Hussars. The Disaster to the 10th Hussars in the Cabul River. The scene of the disaster to the 10th Hussars. Good scenic view. Funeral of Lt Harford, 10th Hussars. Lyric Theatre in the Camp, Jellalabad. A Weaver at Jellalabad.
Cardinal Newman.
Wreck of the Clyde Transport at the Cape of Good Hope.
The Zulu War: The March to Ekowe, the relief column crossing a drift. Frontier Light Horse on Vidette Duty discovering Zulus near Colonel Wool`s Camp.
The Late Mr Isaac Butt MP
The New Indian Telegraph Ship, "Patrick Stewart".

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Re: Illustrated London News

Postby rclpillinger » 03 Feb 2015 11:20

Thanks Stuart, that is very helpful. I have been in touch with them and await a response.

I am soon going to update my website with many more photographs from the XRH Gazettes and I shall slowly add the Regimental valedictories that my Grandfather wrote for the periodical. I have digitised four so far to start, beginning with Colonel the Hon Caryl Craven Molyneux, and am half way through Colonel Ralph Bromfield Willington Fisher-Childe, who was the Officer who saved Manners Wood from the Afghan.

Richard
rclpillinger

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901