Dargai VCs

For all discussions regarding military actions short of war and the Great Game on the North West frontier of India, 1837-1901.

Dargai VCs

Postby londonscot » 03 Mar 2017 18:37

I attach a poster depicting Piper Findlater and Private Vickery receiving their VCs from Queen Victoria at Netley Hospital.
The other figures from l to r are: Colonel Mathias, Sir William Lockhart, The Prince of Wales, Lord Wolseley, The Munshi, A Netley Hospital Nurse, Lord Roberts.
The poster advertises the wares of Rees Griffith of the Burrowgate Grocery Stores, Penrith. At the foot of the poster is a description of the event together with a four verse poem. There are also details of groceries sold by the merchant.
I find it difficult to believe, even though Dargai became a household word, that a provision dealer would have commissioned the painting. I would guess that it was published elsewhere before becoming a poster. Has any member come across it before?

LondonScot
Attachments
048b.jpg
048b.jpg (104.97 KiB) Viewed 558 times
londonscot

Re: Dargai VCs

Postby Mark » 06 Mar 2017 10:21

This is the first time I have seen this image, but I would think you are correct in that the picture was commissioned by someone then subsequently used by the vendor. I acquired several images of Findlater for my book Pathan Rising but this one didn't surface in my research. I must admit, I rather like it.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Mark » 28 Mar 2017 09:07

Findlater was the subject of my latest article for History of War magazine (UK). I wish I could have used this picture for it.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby gordon92 » 11 Apr 2017 19:45

Sergeant Piper (Pipe Major) George Findlater is seen in this August 1916 photo taken at Bridge of Allan of the Drums & Pipes 11th (Reserve) Battalion Gordon Highlanders. Findlater is the last man sitting on the right (facing). Findlater re-joined the Colours in 1914 becoming the Pipe Major of the 9th Battalion. He was invalided home in December 1915.

gordon92
Participating Member

Return to The North West Frontier of India 1837-1901