Battlefield of Colesburg 2nd Boer War

Section for posting period and modern photographs and maps of the Victorian battlefield.

Battlefield of Colesburg 2nd Boer War

Postby st helena » 29 May 2010 13:35

Hi,
Does any one have a detailed Map of Colesburg Battlefield down to 'Slingersfontein Farm? for my research I'm doing on 'J' Battery RHA. Plus showing were all the British & Boer Forces are?? :?: Please. Also showing 'Rensberg Camp! Thank You :D
st helena

Re: Detailed Map of Colesburg Battlefield 2nd Boer War

Postby SteveMc1958 » 29 May 2010 15:10

Hope the attached gives you what you want. It certainly has the two features you named marked on it (Slingersfontein is to the lower right and Rensburg bottom centre), plus the disposition of forces. It's scanned from "With the Flag to Pretoria", pg, 322.

If there isn't sufficient detail available via the website, I can e-mail a copy to you.

Steve
Attachments
Colesburg.jpg
Colesburg.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
SteveMc1958

Postby Norwood » 29 May 2010 21:16

You may not have seen images here :

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=Slinge ... =en&tab=wi

Norwood
John Norwood VC
Boer War
Ralph Legge Pomeroy
Norwood

Postby sstiles » 25 Oct 2010 19:05

Hi there - I have just seen this post now.

This scanned image is from Geskiedenis van die Tweede Vryheidsoorlog 1899 - 1902 Vil IV by JH Breytenbach. The scan is a fraction of the map which I can e-mail you if you contact me sstiles@netactive.co.za . I would also refer you to the map in Vol III of The Time History of the War in SA. Hope this helps.

I did quite a bit of research on the Colesberg actions (inc field trips) in the mid 1980s. Have some diary extracts etc.

Good luck & regards

Stewart
Attachments
Colesberg GTVO IV part.jpg
Colesberg GTVO IV part.jpg (38.74 KiB) Viewed 1953 times
sstiles

Maps from "General French in South Africa" book!

Postby st helena » 02 Oct 2011 22:03

Hi,
I'm doing a private book just for our family about our gt-uncle who was in the RHA during the 2nd Boer War! he was at Colesberg then went up to Bloemfontein! Does any one have the maps from the book " General French in South Africa" :?: , I'm after copies of the maps of "Colesberg" & any map of in or around "Bloemfontein", I can email you my any email address if you can help me please!! the maps must be from the above book please! :!:

Thank You kindly. :D
st helena

Return to Photographs & Maps of the Victorian Battlefields