Shoes / Boots where to buy?

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Shoes / Boots where to buy?

Postby Folkert van Wijk » 11 Sep 2014 08:27

I am currious about where you people buy your victorian reenactment shoes or boots.
I have been looking around this forum but could not find anything or any link to footware that functions.

My best shot so far would be, either buy the real old thing somewhere (etsy), fix them and use them. Or else buy new victorian inspired vintage shoes or boots, let te local shoemaker remove the modern rubber soles and replace them with leather (hobnailed) soles and hide anything els that's wrong under spats or gaiters...

Of course there's also the very expensive option of having them tailor made or buy real high end handmade fasionable shoes.

But I would by delited to hear other ideas.
Folkert van Wijk

Re: Shoes / Boots where to buy?

Postby GrantRCanada » 15 Sep 2014 07:10

One fairly economical source is "What Price Glory", who offer reproduction British Ammunition boots with leather soles and heels, and fitted with toe and heel plates and hobnails (in the early pattern without toe caps) for US$95.00 - http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=1501&bc=no They are actually a WWI version but passable for the Victorian-era version. The pebbled surface is not really correct, but can be smoothed down by various means ..... including the practice of "spooning" .... basically ironing the surface with a heated soup-spoon (.... or some equivalent method.)

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby timothylrose » 15 Sep 2014 17:09

What's wrong with either navy deck boots from the 1950's surplus (with a pebble dash) or ex prison officer issue boots which are smooth - the going rate for them in the UK is around 20 GBP or free if you did your time in the Service.

Atb - tim
timothylrose
Participating Member

Postby Folkert van Wijk » 15 Sep 2014 19:23

Good idears, I look into it. Thanks to,booth.
More option?
Folkert van Wijk

Postby GrantRCanada » 15 Sep 2014 23:44

Not familiar with the boots you mention, Timothy .... wondering if they are made without toecaps?
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby Folkert van Wijk » 16 Sep 2014 08:36

Yes they booth are without toecaps.

If you use google-images and type: navy deck boots and/or prison boots, you see some examples, moost good images lead you to ebay...
Folkert van Wijk

Postby Frogsmile » 18 Sep 2014 22:38

Folkert van Wijk wrote:Yes they booth are without toecaps.

If you use google-images and type: navy deck boots and/or prison boots, you see some examples, moost good images lead you to ebay...

You might also like to consult the suppliers listed at these links:

1. http://www.histrenact.co.uk/traders/vic ... raders.php

2. http://sharpecompendium.net/shops/
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Chasseurs » 29 Sep 2014 16:19

Many years ago I found a brand new pair of Belgian navy boots of the 1950's, no toecap, leather soled and perfect to wear. Replaced the laces with black leather ones, and there you go. They are almost identical to British, except they have on the inside Belgian markings, usually (ZMFN) and the shoesize. Oh, right, hobnailed them too, as apparently metal decks and hobnails don't go well together.....
w've got at least 60 of them !
Well that leaves another 3940.....
Chasseurs

Postby NemoMcN » 01 Apr 2015 16:43

I bought a reproduction pair of the British "Blucher" shoes from http://www.missouribootandshoe.com/. They cater to the American Civil War reenacting crowd, but the British Blucher is offered in the section of Confederate footwear. I highly recommend these guys over other sutlers selling reproduction footwear, they use the original lasts during construction of the shoe, and you provide enough measurements in the ordering process to ensure you have a serviceable boot with a good fit.

Cheers,

- Brian
NemoMcN

Postby RobD » 06 Apr 2015 19:05

RobD
Participating Member

Postby fireman » 24 Apr 2017 00:39

GrantRCanada wrote:One fairly economical source is "What Price Glory", who offer reproduction British Ammunition boots with leather soles and heels, and fitted with toe and heel plates and hobnails (in the early pattern without toe caps) for US$95.00 - http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=1501&bc=no They are actually a WWI version but passable for the Victorian-era version. The pebbled surface is not really correct, but can be smoothed down by various means ..... including the practice of "spooning" .... basically ironing the surface with a heated soup-spoon (.... or some equivalent method.)

Grant, how good is hte quality of WPG's boots? Good enough for field use?
fireman

Postby GrantRCanada » 24 Apr 2017 02:38

I am quite happy with the quality, and certainly do wear mine in the field. In fact, if anything, they are not particularly suitable for indoor wear, being hobnailed and fitted with toe and heel plates ... which can also present bit of a "skidding hazard" on smooth concrete or the like, if one isn't careful! :shock:

Great on sod and the like, however -

GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby fireman » 24 Apr 2017 03:33

Grant, thanks for the info. Sounds like they are better than the average reenactor grade foot wear. I am looking for a pair that will not fall apart and would be suitable for some action shooting sports....if I ever get my act together for the GAF muster.
fireman

Postby GrantRCanada » 24 Apr 2017 03:49

Where are you located, sir?
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Postby fireman » 24 Apr 2017 04:04

Michigan. We have conversed on CAS city forum, the Barracks about Canadian things. I will soon be in possession of Martini Henry mk3 with Canadian history and a restored/project 1898 LEC1 with Canadian history also. My biggest problem with musters is that in summer, I am swamped with construction work and cannot take time to get away. This year may be different.
fireman

Next

Return to Re-enacting