Fenian Invasion Reenactments 1866-1870

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

Fenian Invasion Reenactments 1866-1870

Postby 19thranker » 07 Feb 2018 07:22

I am looking for information on Fenian Invasion reenactments or living history events, particularly any upcoming 150th Anniversary ones. I have recently put together a Canadian Militia impression with following items:

1861 Quilted Shako with Canadian Militia Plate (the picture shows my 24th plate, the Canadian Militia Plate is in the image with the belt)
1863 Red Tunic
Dark Blue Trousers with red piping
Buff waistbelt with Canadian Militia Buckle
Cartridge box with buff sling
White buff expense pouch
Bayonet and buff frog
1860 White haversack
Black ankle boots
Knapsack
1853 Enfield 3 banded Rifle
Snider 3 Banded Rifle

I'm actually down in Texas, but can travel and definitely would do so to an anniversary event. Any guidance or existing unit info would be appreciated, thanks, Mike
Attachments
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG (45.21 KiB) Viewed 250 times
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG (70.85 KiB) Viewed 250 times
2018-1046.jpg
2018-1046.jpg (65.1 KiB) Viewed 250 times
19thranker

Re: Fenian Invasion Reenactments 1866-1870

Postby NWMPMoose » 07 Feb 2018 15:08

There are a number of Fenian Raid reenactment groups throughout southern Ontario, but as I'm from Western Canada, I haven't many details... From what I understand, these are mainly groups that require some form of membership, but there are a few places you could still try contacting to see about participation. Lang's Pioneer Village has been known to host several Fenian reenactments, so has Fort Erie. Lime Ridge monument in Toronto holds a commemoration event for the battle of Ridgeway every Decoration Day (June 2), now I don't know if this includes any form of reenactment or demonstration, but I reckon they'll be worth looking into all the same. Directions to Lime Ridge are on the bottom of the following page; http://www.decorationday.ca

Best of luck in finding something to take part in!
NWMPMoose

Postby 19thranker » 11 Feb 2018 18:42

Thank you NWMPMoose
Any events coming this year or next in Western Canada of note where this impression would fit in. Thanks, Mike
19thranker

Postby NWMPMoose » 12 Feb 2018 01:10

I don't know of any Fenian raid reenactments out my way, likely because the engagements occured in the east. There are several volunteer groups that portray the raids throughout southern Ontario, as well as summer job options at such locations as Fort Henry (moreso demonstration than reenactment). As a Texan, these don't seem to be likely options for you, but the mentioned groups might be able to provide you with a schedule of events open to public participation. The interest in the Fenian raids is somewhat clustered more or less, in a single region, potentially making it possible to jump between events, in a location accessible to tourists and the many, many, many locals.
NWMPMoose

Postby 19thranker » 12 Feb 2018 06:44

I was speaking of living history events in the west for the 1860's to 1870's period involving Canadian troops, not the Fenian affair. In other words, like the Red River Expedition of 1870, etc
19thranker

Postby NWMPMoose » 12 Feb 2018 17:11

Thank you for the clarification, and sorry for my misunderstanding. Unfortunately, I am still not aware of events portraying the military during that timeframe out here. If you are interested in civilian living history, there may be a couple places to look into. Manitoba Muzzleloaders in Carberry, do pre-1870 rendevous camps. Again in Manitoba is lower Fort Garry, which you may recognise from the Red River Expedition. Historical interpreters are present, though they portray civilian life in the 1850s, and although I am not aware of any events at the site (aside from Chirstmas celebrations), I imagine they would spruce things up for Canada Day. It might be a welcome change to have a man in military accoutrements wandering about, as the closest I've yet seen of a military impression at the fort is a man wearing an infantry officers tunic, with mounted police trousers and a cadet carbine, without any form of headdress... I can only see an accurate depiction adding to the credit of the Fort. If you are interested in the 1870s, there are a series of NWMP forts and posts, all across the west. Again, lower fort Garry was used by the NWMP for training between 1873-1874, Fort Duferin was used as Fort headquarters from 1873-1875 (when moved to Winnipeg), Fort Walsh (Saskatchewan now/has many NWMP demonstrations) was used from 1875-1882. In 1874, Fort Macleod ( heading over to Alberta) was constructed in 1874 (many demonstrations, including their own muscial ride), and Fort Whoopup was constructed by American whiskey runners in 1869, but captured by the Mounties in 1874. I'm not sure if you have any Mounted Police uniforms in your collection, but the above sites (along with others) do fit in your 1860s-1870s time frame. The main body of troops in the west during the 1870s were the police. Of course there was the Red River Expedition prior to their formation, and militias offered to be raised for defence against the fenian threat, but it wasn't until 1885 that a significant amount of soldiers were again sent into the Northwest.
NWMPMoose

Return to Re-enacting