How can I start reenacting?

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of Victoria's wars.

How can I start reenacting?

Postby NWMPMoose » 04 Nov 2017 21:08

I am looking to get into reenacting, living history, historical shooting, demonstrations, or something of the sort. I understand there are many reenactment groups worldwide, but most certainly not in my area. The nearest Victorian reenactment group is several hundred kilometres away from where I live.

The conflict I hope to reenact is the Northwest Rebellion of 1885. The population where I live is considered small, and there is a strong lack of interest in anything predating the first world war. The majority of people here are against the government of the day and widely support the rebels, meaning so much as a mention of the military forces of the day causes large controversy, hate, and allegations of racism.

With this in mind, I cannot see there being much success in attempting to create a group to portray the suppression of the rebellion without facing backlash.

I am in the process of obtaining kit for a reenactment impression and want to put it to good use. Though, without a group, I can see this proving difficult.

The two major celebrations in my area are Canada Day, and Remembrance day, which perfectly fit in with this part of history, but would anyone even be interested in watching someone review the manual exersize, bayonet exercise, or fire blanks in uniform at an event like Canada Day? Would it be best to simply find a place to educate people on the era, or answer questions?

I understand mock battles, and accurately portraying camp life is not very possible without a number of other people. So my questions are;

What are some suggestions to start reenacting when nobody within hundreds of kilometres does so?

How can I go about doing this?
NWMPMoose

Re: How can I start reenacting?

Postby SWB » 04 Nov 2017 22:53

Hello

I am not a re-enactor but have known The Diehards of the Victorian Military Society since their inception many years ago.

From my experience most people enjoy watching blank firing, drill exercise and seeing a tent line. Most folk will stop and chat and ask questions about rifles, kit, uniforms and the history.

I think the best way to start is advertise in the journal of the The Military Collectors Club of Canada for enthusiasts in your area and pick a suitable event and get out there in uniform.

Very Best of luck!
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Re: How can I start reenacting?

Postby NWMPMoose » 04 Nov 2017 23:38

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll be certain to look into the Military Collectors Club of Canada shortly!
NWMPMoose

Return to Re-enacting