Medal Shed

Links to other web sites of interest, militaria dealers and related forums.

Medal Shed

Postby Mark » 08 Dec 2011 22:28

A new online auction site that maybe of interest to Victorian related medal collectors:

www.MedalShed.com is an affordable auction website designed especially for medal collectors. It is fully secure and has many bespoke features including intelligent categories and multiple category listings, which helps the thousands of medal collectors visiting MedalShed.com each month to more easily find what they are looking for. And the handy Keywords Watch tool lets you set up email alerts for new auctions listed that match your medal collecting criteria. MedalShed is also free to join. There is a 99 pence verification fee if you want to sell medals, which is fully refunded to your MedalShed account for you to use on site activities. Join today - new members are welcome!
http://www.medalshed.com
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Medal Shed

Postby Darrell » 09 Dec 2011 17:52

There are some nice medals on there. Now I see most have a reserve. I would be nice to know what the reserve is. Not much fun to do the e-bay scam of bidding up until you find out then withdrawing bids. Or will it allow you to retract bids?
Darrell
Participating Member

Postby Darrell » 11 Dec 2011 07:13

Hello ... Hello .... Hello ..... Hello .............................................................................
Darrell
Participating Member

Postby Mark » 11 Dec 2011 20:21

Darrell

The site has nothing to do with the Victorian Wars Forum and is only linked to here for interest of members. With that in mind I cannot answer your questions and I am not sure the owners are members here. As regards reserve price do normal auction houses not keep these secret anyway?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 12 Dec 2011 00:12

Not much fun to do the e-bay scam of bidding up until you find out then withdrawing bids.

...sounds like time wasting to me.

Why not ask Medalshed directly?
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 12 Dec 2011 00:44

Am I missing something here? Why would you slowly bid up to find the reserve only to withdraw your bid because you can't afford it? Is it just an exercise to find the reserve???????? Why?
SWB does have a good point. Email and ask the reserve. I have done it on a Brit bayo and got the answer. I also got the bayo. I have a bayo dealer who buys on ebay and then issues a paper catalog of his blades. He asks reserves all the time of ebay sellers and usually gets a reply.
In a perfect world it would be "Bidding starts at........."
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby Darrell » 12 Dec 2011 00:58

I've emailed the one seller what his reserve is ... no answer. I guess it's a big secret. Why? I have no idea. If I bid over this then he's happy. If I don't I don't feel its worth it. It's a waste of time to find out I agree.
So I'm not wasting my time.

UPDATE* I got what I was looking for.
Darrell
Participating Member

Postby Macadoon » 12 Dec 2011 10:36

Darrell wrote:I've emailed the one seller what his reserve is ... no answer. I guess it's a big secret. Why? I have no idea. If I bid over this then he's happy. If I don't I don't feel its worth it. It's a waste of time to find out I agree.
So I'm not wasting my time.

UPDATE* I got what I was looking for.

Hi Darrell,
I'm AndyMac, owner of MedalShed.com. Thanks for your points above.
It's up to sellers as to whether they release the reserve price. Some do, some don't. We do not allow bids to be entered and withdrawn without good and bonafide reason. Bidders cannot retract bids without going via MedalShed, and in particular they cannot withdraw a bid once an item is closed or reserve has been met. If you bid, expect that you could end up buying the item.
In any case, I do not wish to turn this excellent forum into a shameless self promotion and marketing tool, so please feel free to email me or pm to discuss any queries.
bests
AndyMac
Macadoon

Return to Useful Links