Superannuation?

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Superannuation?

Postby PeterY » 02 Oct 2017 04:03

In 'Twelve Years of a Soldiers life in India', it is said of William Hodson that "After a short service in the Guernsey militia, which he entered to escape superannuation, he got a cadetship, and embarked for India." Can anyone please explain what is meant by 'to escape superannuation'? I am assuming that it might be about not loosing seniority?
PeterY

Re: Superannuation?

Postby jf42 » 02 Oct 2017 09:15

Given the common usage of the term 'superannuation,' it might in this case be more likely to refer to Hodson's being too old to be admitted as a cadet in the HEIC army. Hodson was twenty-three when he graduated. I do not know what the conditions for admission were in regard to age, but I imagine applicants for cadetships were customarily younger.

By previously obtaining a commission in Guernsey, Hodson would have been transferring from the militia, with some military experience, however rudimentary or token, rather than presenting himself as an applicant from civilian life. Evidently he went with highly favourable references.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Re: Superannuation?

Postby PeterY » 02 Oct 2017 21:32

That sees to make sense. Thank you.
PeterY

Return to The Army