Deciphering service papers....

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Deciphering service papers....

Postby Victorian Dad » 20 Sep 2017 11:51

Can anyone offer me advice, I have a set of service papers to a Pte in the infantry he served from 1855 to 1875. His papers state he served 11 years and 9 months in India and 9 months on Gibraltar. But the papers don't give any specific dates is this common? His papers also make no mention of any medals he earned, I know he got his LSGC does it sound like there are some pages missing, or again is this common for this period?
Victorian Dad

Re: Deciphering service papers....

Postby Victorian Dad » 20 Sep 2017 15:24

Further to my previous entry, my chap served in the 94th from 1855 to 1865 then the 54th 1866 to 1875.

The 94th arrived in India in November 1857, so where there during the Mutiny, but interestingly it appears that their surgeon was the only person in the Regiment to qualify for the medal albeit without clasp?

His papers say he reengaged at Umbeyla in July 1865, so the Regiment appears to have missed out on the India General Service medal with that clasp as well. Not sure when the North West frontier clasp for this medal covers, but the 94th don't appear to have had that either?

So he spent 11 years and 9 months in India and didn't qualify for a single medal? I would be interested to know whether the 94th or indeed the 54th were ever physically under threat from an armed enemy?
Victorian Dad

Return to The Army