RHA - what size guns?

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

RHA - what size guns?

Postby susancammas » 14 Sep 2017 18:38

Good evening – could the experts tell me whether I am correct in thinking that:

1. a battery of Horse Artillery consisted of six 13 pounder guns organised in three sections each of two guns.
2. the guns were hauled by a gun team of 6 horses and served by a gun detachment of 6 men.

For 18 pdr guns were the gun detachments and horse teams the same as for the 13 pdr guns?

What size guns were used in India in 19th century?
Same question concerning the guns used in WWI at Ypres and in Mesopotamia?

Thanks for all your help.
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Re: RHA - what size guns?

Postby jf42 » 15 Sep 2017 18:21

Susan, I am not a student of C19th artillery, but those are fairly broad questions. You might make it easier to provide answers if you were to give an indication of the period(s) for which you are seeking information.

I ought to point out too that Ypres and Mesopotamia in WW1 lie outside the scope of the VW forum. You are likely to have more success here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/

Good luck
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby susancammas » 15 Sep 2017 21:34

Good evening jf42

How silly of me not to be more specific about dates - of course, a lot of technological advances can take place over a century. I'm afraid I'm getting bogged down in detail.
For India, I'm interested in the last quarter of 19th century and I'm just trying to get a general picture of how a RHA battery operated.

For Mesopotamia, I'll follow your advice!

Many thanks

Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby zerostate » 16 Sep 2017 02:27

Here are a few brief notes that I hope will be of use to you.

Guns
From about 1879 RHA got the Rifled, Muzzle Loading (RML) 13 Pounder 8 cwt (the 13 pounds referring the weight of the shot it fired, and the 8 cwt being the eight hundredweight that the gun weighed).
In 1885 a new breech loading gun, the RBL 12 pounder 7 cwt for both horse and field artillery. It was in turn replaced by the RBL 12 pounder 6 cwt for horse artillery in 1894.
The QF (quick fire) 15 pounder replaced it in 1901.
The QF 13 pounder replaced that in 1905.

Horse Artillery Battery
The numbers of men differed slightly depending on the exact year and whether service was home, abroad, war, or India.
In 1892 a foreign service RHA battery should have had (but may not have filled all the slots or have all the horses they needed):
1 major, 1 captain, and three subalterns.
9 sergeants.
6 corporals
6 bombardiers
9 artificers
2 trumpeters
75 gunners
63 drivers
The gunners and drivers would probably be interchangeable as they were driver/gunners, but 63 of them were required to drive the battery’s 19 vehicles.

There were 74 riding horses and 114 draught, plus those privately owned by the officers.
The vehicles were:
6 guns, each with a 6 horse team.
6 ammunition wagons each with a 6 horse team
1 forge wagon (6 horse team).
2 4 horse ammunition and stores wagons
1 4 horse store wagon with limber
3 4 horse artillery wagons

I hope that sheds some light on how big a battery was.

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby susancammas » 16 Sep 2017 06:22

Thanks Chris - that is exactly the information I was looking for!
Enjoy the weekend.
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby Maureene » 16 Sep 2017 07:01

There were also Elephant Batteries used to a certain extent in India, see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page Artillery Elephants
https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Artillery_elephants.

Some of the links refer somewhat indirectly to the use of bullocks for artillery purposes.
In particular, "At the beginning ot the 20th Century, with the introduction of Breech-Loading guns for the Heavy Batteries, the Elephants and Bullocks were replaced with teams of eight heavy horses"

So the period of the last quarter of 19th century, I think it's debatable just how many horses would have been in use compared to oxen. There are images around of bullock drawn carriages for personal transport, rather than horse drawn carriages.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby susancammas » 16 Sep 2017 07:15

Thanks Maureen - absolutely amazing!
I wonder how they organised the elephant batteries - he mind boggles!
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby zerostate » 16 Sep 2017 14:01

susancammas wrote:Thanks Maureen - absolutely amazing!
I wonder how they organised the elephant batteries - he mind boggles!
Susan

One of the links on the FIBIS page has that information (although you wouldn't know from its link description): http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/rg_majs ... eavies.htm

Note that those are heavy batteries though, not RHA.

Chris

"Cookery is the art of preparing and softening food by the action of fire, so as to render it fit for digestion" - Instructions to Military Cooks in the Preperation of Dinners at the Instructional Kitchen, Aldershot, 1878.
zerostate

Postby susancammas » 16 Sep 2017 18:02

Fantastic Chris THANKS!
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Return to The Army