The Missing Years

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Re: The Missing Years

Postby Frogsmile » 28 Apr 2017 22:29

rclpillinger wrote:Referring again to the picture of the horse lines, whose duty was it to peg out the tethering lines. They look very taught, as they would need to be, but it must have been a real art to get right.

Richard

I do not know for certain but as it was a matter of 'good order and military discipline' I imagine it would have been a joint effort between the Squadron Sergeant Major and his logistics sidekick the Squadron Quarter-Master Sergeant.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby rclpillinger » 02 May 2017 21:36

Another interesting picture from the album.

This was taken in early 1900 in South Africa and it shows a wounded horse being sewing up whilst it is held still by several men sitting on the poor animal.
Attachments
South Africa Vet.JPG
South Africa Vet.JPG (116.55 KiB) Viewed 258 times
rclpillinger

Postby grumpy » 02 May 2017 22:38

The trumpeter is in broad daylight. And old girls out in their pinnies?

Unless it is high summer, surely not Tattoo?
grumpy
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 03 May 2017 18:37

grumpy wrote:The trumpeter is in broad daylight. And old girls out in their pinnies?

Unless it is high summer, surely not Tattoo?

To be fair, grumpy, the comment was also made that the scene might show an impromptu recall via 'fall in', as an alternative to Tattoo. It could also be high summer, as you suggest. Whilst we can never know the exact circumstances, the scene itself seems to me fairly unmistakable.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby rclpillinger » 13 May 2017 10:52

Another one from the album.

The Regiment has moved to South Africa now, and I think this is from early 1900.
Attachments
Boer War Machine Gun.JPG
Boer War Machine Gun.JPG (98.73 KiB) Viewed 240 times
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 17 Dec 2017 17:07

In the last of my Grandfather's albums I have found a picture which shows what happened either just before or just after the Trumpeter sounded the Recall, which picture I posted earlier in this topic.

There are more fascinating pictures in this current album, which I am again having preserved, along with the final one that is from The Tenth's tour of India from 1902 to 1912, which needs a new spine, and several pages fixing, as well as neutral inter-leaving.

Richard
Attachments
IMG_05892.JPG
IMG_05892.JPG (146.39 KiB) Viewed 113 times
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 19 Dec 2017 21:25

Here is yet another interesting picture from this last album. I have no idea where this was taken but sometime during the 1890s I would guess.

Can anybody identify the regiment of these three fine fellows and perhaps speculate a date?

Richard
Attachments
Lancers.JPG
Lancers.JPG (145.75 KiB) Viewed 103 times
rclpillinger

Postby Frogsmile » 21 Dec 2017 17:07

rclpillinger wrote:Another interesting picture from the album.

This was taken in early 1900 in South Africa and it shows a wounded horse being sewing up whilst it is held still by several men sitting on the poor animal.

Very little to go on Regiment wise I’m afraid, but there are a few clues. The puttees are almost certainly dark blue and their wear before 1902 indicates a foreign station, they were not worn at home at that time. All three men are in plain blue 5-button frocks, as worn for field dress during the same period. Lance caps also have field covers. All in all the outfit suggests either, field days or campaigning. I hope that helps. Knowing where your ggf was will help to ID the unit as only one Lancer Regiment was usually based at home (invariably Ireland) with the others based in India following the Indian Mutiny/Rebellion.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby jf42 » 21 Dec 2017 22:55

If the photo of the three lancers was taken by your grandfather during the 10th POW's sojourn in Ireland- although not a foreign station as such!- then the most likely candidates would be the 12th POW Lancers who were stationed at Ballincollig (outside Cork ) at the same time as the 10th POW Hussars, with perhaps the POW connection giving added interest to the photograph. The other possibility would be the 17th Duke of Cambridge Lancers who succeeded the 12th at Ballncollig in 1895, depending on whether they overlapped with the 10th POW Hussars before they too left Ballincollig that same year, moving to Newbridge near the Curragh in Kildare, just west of Dublin.

Alternatively, the 5th Royal Irish Lancers were at Canterbury when the 10th POW Hussars arrived in 1897

Do the puttees invariably indicate a posting abroad? The 16th Queen's Lancers and the 21st Empress of India's were both in India, or Egypt in the case of the 21st from 1896 (bound for glory). Would they not be more likely to be wearing khaki and FS helmets? And who took the photo?
Last edited by jf42 on 22 Dec 2017 01:27, edited 1 time in total.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Frogsmile » 22 Dec 2017 00:05

The puttees are an interesting point, they were not home issue until the year 1902 and the issue of service dress. They were before that issued in India and foreign stations supplied from there. Either the photo was taken abroad, or the regiment concerned had retained their foreign issue puttees at home.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby jf42 » 22 Dec 2017 09:36

Frogsmile wrote:The puttees are an interesting point, they were not home issue until the year 1902 and the issue of service dress. They were before that issued in India and foreign stations supplied from there. Either the photo was taken abroad, or the regiment concerned had retained their foreign issue puttees at home.

I seem to have lost a post sent last night.

Taking into account the above circumstances, FS, the 5th Royal Irish Lancers arrived in Canterbury from India in 1897 in the same year as as the 10th POW Hussars arrived from Ireland. Does that make the 5th Royal Irish be the best candidates?

What I find particularly interesting about this image is that the lancers, in covered caps, plain frocks and puttees, look uncharacteristically business-like for late C19th lancers in Home Service uniform; almost as if war had broken out in Europe twenty years earlier in an alternative reality.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Frogsmile » 23 Dec 2017 20:36

Yes, I too thought that the photo had an operational flavour. If at home then the 5th Lancers seem the most likely, but the dusty background and overall feel suggests that it might be overseas and, as a different regiment to the owner, just arbitrarily placed in a home album.
sq
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby rclpillinger » 23 Dec 2017 21:44

Gentlemen, I also am a little perplexed by this album, that I only came across in the museum last spring. The pictures seem to stretch from Rawal Pindi, Lucknow in 1882-84, right through Shornecliffe, York, Ireland and back to Canterbury. That means there could be one or two from Sudan in '84. I wonder if 5th Lancers were there?

Many of the photos cover a field exercise, most likely on Salisbury Plain, as there is a photo of Stonehenge amongst them. I know that the Tenth introduced the Nordenfeld gun, which Colonel Liddle had purchased with his own money at one such event, and there is a picture of this gun.

There are so many interesting photos and I will soon have them all on my website. Here's a taster:

The first image I find interesting because it appears there are three strands of barbed wire between the subjects

Richard
Attachments
Barbed Wire.JPG
Barbed Wire.JPG (107.18 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Field Ovens.JPG
Field Ovens.JPG (159.88 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Nordenfeld.JPG
Nordenfeld.JPG (119.86 KiB) Viewed 59 times
rclpillinger

Postby jf42 » 23 Dec 2017 22:34

What I find odd is that if these men are on a foreign station where one might expect to see the wearing of puttees, be it the Sudan, be it India, what are they doing wearing Lancer caps? Would they not be more likely to be wearing cork Foreign Service sun helmets? And, be they in the Sudan, or in India, would they not be more likely to be wearing some form of khaki?
Last edited by jf42 on 24 Dec 2017 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby rclpillinger » 23 Dec 2017 22:59

I have just had another look at the rest of the pictures and this one is also of the same regiment of Lancers I think. The trees in the background clearly look like Home service somewhere. This could well be Ireland but I also have a photo in The Tenth Royal Hussars by Michael Brander of the Tenth on as field exercise in 1897 when they were at Canterbury.
Attachments
Lancers 2.JPG
Lancers 2.JPG (88.53 KiB) Viewed 59 times
rclpillinger

PreviousNext

Return to The Army