The Missing Years

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Re: The Missing Years

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 23 Dec 2017 23:03

First of all Richard, these crisp clean photos you are posting are incredible along with your narrative. I would much rather see a bunch of commissariat types making food in a field oven than Herbert Kitchener in full dress uniform. Archeology has studied the Egyptian Pharaohs for centuries. We have only in the last 35 years, begun to study the everyday lives of the subjects who built the pyramids and walked the streets of the abandoned ancient ruins of the Pharaonic world.

That having been said, the gun battery you identified as a Nordenfelt gun is actually a Maxim Gun. The British first issued the gun to troops in 1889, and by 1893, the Maxim would be common place. This is an 1890's or later image. Your 1897 date sounds perfect. The gun carriage looks similar to the Maxims used at Omdurman September 2, 1898. Nordenfelts are multiple barreled and are hand cranked. Think of the river boat scenes from the movie Khartoum. Poor film IMO!

Below is a link to a repro Nordenfeldt gun being fired. The repro has a small ammo hopper so this gun really can't unleash the full furry of a British period gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzRQDZtYszE

"Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not"

And what is with the gong behind the Maxim battery?
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby jf42 » 24 Dec 2017 01:23

I did wonder about the water jacket on the Nordenfelt ...

The gong is for ringing the hours in camp. The Black Watch have a gong, liberated during the Indian Mutiny, that hangs on a tripod outside the Regimental orderly office. It seems that this was also a 10th POW regimental tradition.

From the Regimental Gazette, January 1910.

Regimental Gong 10th POW 1910.jpg
Regimental Gong 10th POW 1910.jpg (40.25 KiB) Viewed 103 times
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Frogsmile » 25 Dec 2017 10:41

rclpillinger wrote:I have just had another look at the rest of the pictures and this one is also of the same regiment of Lancers I think. The trees in the background clearly look like Home service somewhere. This could well be Ireland but I also have a photo in The Tenth Royal Hussars by Michael Brander of the Tenth on as field exercise in 1897 when they were at Canterbury.

Superb pictures Richard, in this photo the men appear to be wearing field service caps as intended, in the field! I cannot see if they wear puttees. JF42 makes a good point regarding lance caps in the field. Perhaps it was a field day in Ireland with the men still wearing comfortable and practical foreign service puttees.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby rclpillinger » 04 Jan 2018 11:11

I assume that this picture from the last album of Grandpa's pictures is of the scales used to weigh out the daily fodder rations.

In 1889 he writes in the Cavalry Roll Book that he edited:

The Daily allowance for a horse is:

In Quarters 10 lbs. Oats 12 lbs. Hay 8 lbs. Straw
In encampments 12 lbs. Oats 12 lbs. Hay Nil Straw

The ration for forage counts from the midday feed of the day for which it is drawn, and therefore include the morning feed of the next day.
The amount of marching allowance per man on days for which a distance of ten miles or over is traversed is one penny per diem, and the innkeeper or other person on whom he is billeted, is compelled to provide him with a hot meal consisting of 1 lb. of meat, a similar quantity of bread, 2 pints of small beer, 1 lb. of vegetables, and sufficient pepper, salt and vinegar for the meal; in addition he must provide a bed for the soldier, and for each horse stabling, and
10 lbs. Oats 12 lbs. Hay 8 lbs. Straw
For this he is entitled an allowance of 1s 4d. for the man, and 1s 9d. for the horse.

The booklet goes on to detail the weight carried in marching order of 16 stones, 10 3/8 lbs, and even current prices for necessities in minute detail. I have put the booklet on my website at

http://www.majorpillinger.com/cavalry_roll_book/

Richard
Attachments
Scales.JPG
Scales.JPG (158.07 KiB) Viewed 64 times
rclpillinger

Postby Wayne » 05 Jan 2018 06:52

Great photos Richard. I have just checked out your website. What a wonderful archive, thanks for sharing.
Wayne

Postby rclpillinger » 05 Jan 2018 12:33

Just a couple more pics. that I find really good.

Both taken in Ireland, can anyone tell me what the regulations were regarding the wearing of the tassel on the bridle of the horse. It is not something I had ever noticed in any other pictures from the Tenth, and I wondered when it was to be added to the tack.

Richard
Attachments
Empty Sir.JPG
Empty Sir.JPG (126.5 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Tassel.JPG
Tassel.JPG (109.52 KiB) Viewed 61 times
rclpillinger

Postby rclpillinger » 07 Jan 2018 16:02

I have now got all the photographs from this latest album up-loaded to the website.

Go to http://www.majorpillinger.com

and then Picture Gallery tab, followed by India to Canterbury 1880-99

I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who might be able to recognise any locations where a picture might have been taken as I would like to label them on the website, but also I shall build a brief provenance page to go into the album as it is restored, before going back to the Horsepower Museum where it now lives.

Richard
Attachments
HHL Label.JPG
HHL Label.JPG (138.92 KiB) Viewed 52 times
rclpillinger

Previous

Return to The Army