Cantonments, wives and hospitals

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

Re: Cantonments, wives and hospitals

Postby susancammas » 02 Sep 2017 18:56

Thanks for the extra details. I take it that the photo was taken in the last quarter of the 19th century.
Things must have greatly improved by then because I was under the impression that even on the strength other ranks wives had to work for their living themselves when overseas with their husbands, but perhaps that was not the case in India.
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Postby Frogsmile » 02 Sep 2017 19:52

susancammas wrote:Thanks for the extra details. I take it that the photo was taken in the last quarter of the 19th century.
Things must have greatly improved by then because I was under the impression that even on the strength other ranks wives had to work for their living themselves when overseas with their husbands, but perhaps that was not the case in India.
Susan

Yes, you have the date span correct.

Soldier's wives were not expected to work in India (and several similar Colonies), the employment of local natives at relatively cheap rates and a policy of supporting the economy of nearby communities made it unnecessary.
sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby susancammas » 02 Sep 2017 21:32

Thanks
Bonne nuit!
Susan
susancammas
Participating Member

Previous

Return to The Army