'Principles of War' by A.F. Lendy: Standard Reading?

For general discussions on the British Army of the Victorian era or specific regiments.

'Principles of War' by A.F. Lendy: Standard Reading?

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 22 Mar 2017 17:22

Here's a bit of a topic that I'm just sort of hoping to hear other opinions on. :) Two of the military gents on my research list subscribed as young men (well, one was still a young boy --- but just about to embark on a Naval career) to "The Principles of War" (by A.F. Lendy) in 1853. It's a book written for the aid of young men planning on a military career, but I'm assuming there were others like it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this particular book actually did turn into any type of standard reading? Are there certain books of this type that would have been standard reading?

One of the gents on my list went to India with the HEIC Army. I read the book "A Soldier of the Company" by Captain Albert Hervey. The original multi-volume edition of that was published to inform young men headed as soldiers to India.

I'd just be interested in anyone's thoughts on any of these books that were meant to help the young soldiers, and which books may have turned into "classics", if you could call them that.

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Return to The Army