A VWF event?

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

A VWF event?

Postby sjwalker51 » 27 Aug 2014 19:25

Just occurred to me, has there ever been any thought given/interest in arranging some sort of one day event - guest speakers, toy soldiers, reenactment etc by the VWF, maybe in conjunction with other like-minded organisations and interest groups?

I know we're a pretty international group, which makes a central venue challenging - heart of the old Empire, presumably, ideally a relevant location 'special' to those with an interest in Victorian warfare, and I'm sure there is some risk in bringing together some of the 'big beasts' of this and other similar fora, but it could be fun.

A question I suspect I may come to regret asking.... ;-)

Simon
sjwalker51
Participating Member

Re: A VWF event?

Postby jf42 » 27 Aug 2014 19:57

Simon, as your question is strictly speaking, historical, I would say that you can't hold yourself responsible anything that happens in the future.

It's a thought...(ducks as Hindoostan elephant in feathered hat burst through undergrowth)
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Mark » 28 Aug 2014 09:38

I don't see why such an event could not be arranged. Over on the British Medal Forum some members have regional meets from time to time. These sorts of things could be arranged by anyone on the forum.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 28 Aug 2014 19:27

The Victorian Military Society used to organise such events but stopped due to rising costs, declining interest, diminishing volunteers to run the event.

No reason why someone else can't have a go!

Ad hoc events as suggested by Mark are easier to start - why not piggyback on the upcoming OMRS Convention in London? The British Medal Forum wear a "secret badge" to such events.
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 28 Aug 2014 19:56

A great idea! I will be attending the OMRS event in London 20-21 September at the Holiday Inn Russell Square, on Coram Street, and would be delighted to meet any other Members of the VWF who may be visiting. I will be appearing under the exotic " nom de guerre " of Mark A. Reid.

Cheers,

Mark

ps: Meurig, I had the pleasure of meeting you at the OMRS a few years ago when I was with Chris and David Biggins.
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby SWB » 28 Aug 2014 22:06

Hello Mark - that was at the BMA wasn't it?

I'll be there on the Sunday - code name "Meurig" :lol:
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Mark A. Reid » 28 Aug 2014 23:37

Yes, Meurig, a few years ago now. David will be there again too.

" The geese fly low by midnight. "
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 30 Aug 2014 20:34

A VWF badge, if only I had the time!

I have the BMF badge, and it is a lovely design.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat