Order of Battle Format

For anything else of relevance not covered by the topics above.

Order of Battle Format

Postby Mark » 13 May 2014 14:58

When reading an Order of Battle, whether it be in a book or on this forum etc., what format do members prefer. That is, cavalry first followed by infantry and support arms? Queen's regiments before local units?

Is there an official format? What do you prefer?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Order of Battle Format

Postby colsjt65 » 13 May 2014 22:19

Any Order of Battle should be based on the order of precedence of regiments as laid out in Queen's Regulations. This is reflected in Hart's. Any list of officers is in order of seniority, by unit, as listed in Hart's (I have seen this in every shipping list in the newspaper and official report)
Below is from Regulations 1822, because I don't have QR 1844 on me, but I believe it's the same:

His Majesty's Regiments of Life Guards, and the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards, have the Precedence of all other Corps whatever.
On Parades, the Horse Artillery, whether mounted or dismounted, take the Right of all other Cavalry : —
The Cavalry, whether mounted or dismounted, take the Right of Infantry of every description : —
The Royal Artillery have the Precedence of other Infantry :—
The Royal Engineers, and the Royal Sappers and Miners, take post on the Left of the Royal Artillery.
The Foot Guards take the Right of all Regiments of Infantry of the Line : —
The Royal Veteran Battalions are the next in Rank : — .
Then the Regiments of Infantry of the Line according to their Number and Order of Precedence : —
The Royal Marines, when acting with the Troops of the Line, are to take Rank next to the 49th Regiment : —
The Militia Regiments take Rank after those of the Line, according to their respective Numbers, as fixed by Lot. When Regiments of British and Irish Militia are serving together, the priority of ran' is to be considered to belong to the Militia of that part of the United Kingdom, in which the Quarter may be situated.

It is, however, to be understood, that this Regulation refers merely to circumstances of Parade : — On all other occasions, Corps are to be distributed, and drawn up, in the mode which the General, or other, Officer Commanding may judge most convenient, and best adapted to the purposes of the Service.

The Order of Battle of an actual battle should reflect the structure - Corps, Brigade, whatever 'the General' determined, but each broken down in the order of precedence.
colsjt65

Postby Mark » 14 May 2014 08:58

Perfect! Just what I was looking for!

Thank you :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Andre Chissel » 14 May 2014 12:49

Yes thanks !

Andre
Andre Chissel

Postby Josh&Historyland » 14 May 2014 13:05

Definitely in order of precedence in the line, as said above, lots of times authors put infantry first, I've always thought it should have been the other way around. But I suppose they are balancing operational groupings in which all arms are brigaded with one another.

Josh.
Adventure's In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 14 May 2014 14:11

Josh&Historyland wrote:Definitely in order of precedence in the line, as said above, lots of times authors put infantry first, I've always thought it should have been the other way around. But I suppose they are balancing operational groupings in which all arms are brigaded with one another.

I think, in terms of writing for a book or article, you would have to separate them out into the appropriate brigades or columns otherwise it wouldn't make sense. However, you would certainly put them in the correct order within these formations?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Other Victorian Wars Chat