FamilySearch website-free WW1 Service & Pension records

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest.

FamilySearch website-free WW1 Service & Pension records

Postby Maureene » 03 Apr 2013 06:24

Although the following information is about World War 1 records, I am posting it on this Forum as Meurig has previously advised it is worth checking these records, as they “do contain some papers for men who did not serve in WW1” viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7266&start=15#p31162

Service and pension records from World War 1 from the National Archives, Kew have been available on the pay site Ancestry.com. for a while. These are British Army WWI Service Records 1914-1920 also called WO 363 records and known as the ‘Burnt Documents, and British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 also called WO 364 records.

These records have recently become available on the free website FamilySearch as images.
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/2125045

They are explained in this FamilySearch Research Wiki
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/United_Kingdom,_World_War_I_Service_Records_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records)
Although the names on the images have not been transcribed, it appears the images are grouped alphabetically, so these records are an alternative if you do not have access to Ancestry

Cheers
Maureen

Additional note: When I posted the above information on the Great War Forum, a response said:
"If you go to indexing at the top of the home page and then worldwide indexing project more, halfway down the page, find United Kingdom in the list and you will see they are asking for help indexing these records".
Maureene

Re: FamilySearch website-free WW1 Service & Pension records

Postby Mark » 03 Apr 2013 18:17

Thanks for sharing, Maureene! It is well worth searching First World War service records for men who served in the late Victorian and Edwardian periods. Having a subscription to Ancestry I regularly check the 1914-18 service records and have found a few 'Victorian' soldiers who went on to fight in the First World War. You also often find the Victorian service records are appended to the First World War records.

Mark
"Don't talk to me about atrocities in war; all war is an atrocity." - Lord Kitchener
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby SWB » 03 Apr 2013 21:00

Hello Maureen

Interesting.

I tried to access but got to here, appears you can't easily use them from home:

FC.jpg
FC.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Regards
Meurig
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Maureene » 04 Apr 2013 01:05

Thanks Meurig

I had not tried to access these records, so did not realise the problem. I have never had problems accessing other records on FamilySearch

I am trying to clarify with FamilySearch what the conditions are to access these records on your own computer. I cannot image FamilySearch want a large number of people trying to access these records at Family History Centres, where computers may be limited.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene

Postby SWB » 04 Apr 2013 08:14

Great, let us know how you get on.

Without an index it will be like the old days - but hopefully from the comfort of home!
Researcher. Owner: The Register of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. Interests: 24th Foot/South Wales Borderers/RRW/RW. South Africa generally. War memorials
SWB
Veteran Member

Postby Maureene » 28 Apr 2013 00:06

Unfortunately, the FamilySearch website has recently advised online viewing is restricted to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These images may also be viewed at a FamilySearch Centre at no cost. I was unaware when I made the original post that these restrictions applied, so I apologise for raising expectations.

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials