Adams Cartridge Revolver

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Victorian period.

Adams Cartridge Revolver

Postby Annapolis » 23 Jun 2017 00:53

Folks: I'd like to continue the discussion of Adams cartridge (breech loading) revolvers. I have recently required one. Pictures will follow on another post, because I am not certain which model/pattern it is. I suspect it is a Mark II, but perhaps a M.I.? In any event, top on the list is exploring (not "cleaning" it!). Yet, I lack an "exploded" diagram or other disassembly instructions. I find little helpful on line -- perhaps for want of search skills. Does any one have such or instructions? There is a chip in the grip which may be structural, so my immediate need is to get it apart see how far the damage may go.

Also, production numbers: Mine has "ADAMS PATENT SMALL ARMS Co. 391 STRAND, LONDON" . The frame, below the cylinder reads "ADAMS PATENT No 2077" and correspondingly, the cylinder is stamped "ADAMS No 2077". Did the sequence of numbers begin anew with each new mark? Or other moment. These seemingly early numbers suggest the earlier converted percussion model. Please excuse my likely trespass of model, number, and nomenclature. I am new to this but want to learn.

Annapolis
Annapolis

Re: Adams Cartridge Revolver

Postby ED, in Los Angeles » 23 Jun 2017 02:29

Pictures of both sides of the gun would be helpful. The gun looks easy to take apart.

The number 2077 is a patent number. This is probably a private purchase civilian version. The early ones were. Any other markings?
The chip in the grip is just that, a chip in the grip.

Some good pictures please. The last time I went through this was with a Frankenstein gun made of two different revolvers.

Let's see what you got.
ED, in Los Angeles

Postby Frogsmile » 27 Jun 2017 17:00

sq
Relic of many a fight and siege and sack, it points a moral and adorns the back.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Annapolis » 02 Jul 2017 21:13

Ed: you had asked whether there were other markings on the Adams. Yes.

(a) There are the 2 marks comprising the London Definitive Proof -- the Crown over Cp and the Crown over V. These two alternate around the cylinder, one over every other of the 6 chambers.

(b) Stamped on the left side of the barrel is a set of these marks.

(c) Along the top of the barrel reads "ADAM'S PATENT SMALL ARMS Co. 391.STRAND.LONDON."

This all fits with your assessment of the Adams being a private purchase civilian edition. Thanks for your interest. Annapolis
Annapolis

Postby GrantRCanada » 10 Jul 2017 21:15

Is this revolver 5-chambered (in which case it would be a percussion revolver converted to breech-loading - i.e Mk I in military terminology) or 6-chambered (Mk II or later)?
GrantRCanada
Veteran Member

Return to Weapons & Tactics