Clive Law

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Clive Law

Postby Albert J » 12 Jun 2017 23:38

It's with a very heavy heart that I inform you all of the passing of Clive Law (known here on the forum as Servicepub). He passed away peacefully and comfortably yesterday evening having succumbed to his stroke. The Canadian military community has lost a great researcher and impassioned historian.

James
Albert J

Re: Clive Law

Postby Stuart_Bates » 13 Jun 2017 06:21

I was saddened to hear of Clive's stroke and hoped for the best. Even though we never met we exchanged phone calls and emails over many years. He was my friend and will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

Vale Clive.
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » 13 Jun 2017 10:35

Thank you, James. I am very sorry to hear this. I saw this news posted on Toby Brayley's Facebook page but- being a little distracted at present- I didn't make the connection with Service.pub and VWF. Clive's work in the field stands as a fitting memorial.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Will Mathieson » 15 Jun 2017 20:41

Sad news indeed. He always gave me a good deal on his books at the Ottawa show and great conversation.
Will Mathieson
Veteran Member

Postby Frogsmile » 16 Jun 2017 13:04

I am very sorry to learn of Clive's passing and would wish to offer condolences to his family and friends. I did not know him, but am conscious of his excellent work in the field of military head dress (and other militaria) with especial focus on that worn by Canadian forces. His memory will live on in those writings and I hope that that can be some small comfort to his loved ones.
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Postby Mark A. Reid » 17 Jun 2017 17:11

Thanks Frogsmile, that was a kind sentiment and nicely phrased.

Clive and I were in the same regiment and, in just another couple of hours, he will be laid to rest in the National Military Cemetery here in Ottawa.

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 20 Jun 2017 09:25

I am very sad to hear this news. He joined the forum some years ago and made many contributions to our discussions.

My thoughts are with Clive's family; he will be missed.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby AlanD » 13 Aug 2017 10:34

I was sorry to hear this sad news in June.

Without doubt a lot of information concerning British and Canadian small arms and militaria has only been published due to Mr Law.

Without his efforts we would all be less well informed.

Alan David
Sydney
AlanD

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements