Identify British Army Uniform in India

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Victorian period.

Identify British Army Uniform in India

Postby tony56 » 06 Feb 2009 11:02

Hi,
Tring to trace my great grandfather Stephen Keogh, I have attached a photograph of him in uniform. I am no military expert but what I can gather from the uniform is he was a captain and the insignia on his cap shows GRI under a Tudor Crown, I think the GRI stands for George Rex Imperator, George V King Emperor. I don't know if he was born in India or wherever but his name is Irish, his daughter Phyllis was born in India in 1909 so he could have been born maybe 1870 to 1890 ish.
Do you have any idea what regiment he could of been in so I can trace his military history.

Regards,
Tony.

Stephen Keogh.jpg
Stephen Keogh
Stephen Keogh.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 2497 times
tony56

Re: Identify British Army Uniform in India

Postby elmac » 06 Feb 2009 12:48

Hi Tony
I think he is a Lt. as they have two pips - Second Lt's have one, and Captains have three. Can't help with the regiment, sorry

Have you had a look at the FIBIS search site www.fibis.org as there are quite a lot of Keogh's in India
FIBIS stands for Families in British India Society and there are over half a million entries in the free searchable database

Elmac
elmac

Postby Mark » 06 Feb 2009 15:03

He is indeed a Lieutenant in the photo since he has two pips. Prior to 1902 (I think but please correct me if I am wrong) Captains had only two pips, Lieutenants one pip and Sub-Lieutenants none. After 1902 all three ranks gained a pip - i.e. Captain three, Lieutenant two and so on.

His medal ribbon looks like the China Medal 1900 to me!?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby tony56 » 07 Feb 2009 01:01

Hi Elmac & Mark,
Thanks for the info from you both, I was interested to what you had to say Mark, sorry to sound dumb but are you saying that if this photo was taken prior to 1902 he was a Captain and after 1902 a Lieutenant?
Also the pips is that the two things on the end of the medal ribbon like thing on his chest you refer to, as you can tell I know nothing about military uniforms I was born in 1956 never having anything to do with the military and none of my close family were in the Forces.
Finally Mark how was the China Medal ribbon gained, did you have to be stationed there or in battle?

Tony.
tony56

Postby Jonathan » 07 Feb 2009 01:23

The GRI cypher on his cap would date this photo to 1911 or later. So based on Mark's information, that would make him a lieutenant.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Forum Moderator

Postby tony56 » 07 Feb 2009 01:31

Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the info.

Tony.
tony56

Postby Adam Brown » 07 Feb 2009 10:15

Is he in the army? He could be a colonial policeman in which case the two pips on hs shoulder strap would make him an Inspector.

Adam
Adam Brown

Postby tony56 » 07 Feb 2009 12:27

Hi Adam,
I don't know if he was in the army or in the police force, I was given this photo by my auntie and she said it was my great grandfather.

Tony.
tony56

Postby DavidB » 07 Feb 2009 14:39

The cap badge is bugging me. There aren't many army badges that are just the royal cypher surmounted by a crown.
Military Provost Staff Corps maybe? :?

At any rate, since he's an officer, there should be some mention of him in the London Gazette.
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Liz » 08 Feb 2009 01:15

Hi Tony56

Welcome to the VWF! If you'd like to pursue the Gazette angle - which is fairly easy to do yourself online - you'll find more information posted here http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=277. Best of luck,

Liz
Liz
Forum Moderator

Postby tony56 » 08 Feb 2009 02:37

Thanks Everyone for your help,
I spoke to my father today and he had more information regarding my great grandfather, on my fathers mothers second marraige cert. it showed her fathers name was Joseph Stephen Keogh and his job title was Locomotive Driver, does anyone know if the railway companies had military or police support. My grandfather his son inlaw also was a train driver for BB & CI and my grandmothers second husband was a carraige maker and his father was a carraige inspector, a lot of connections with the railway industry in India, they all lived in the Abu Road, Ajmere area.

I will try searching the gazettes for more info.

Tony.
tony56

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals