10 Royal Reserve Regiment

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.

10 Royal Reserve Regiment

Postby Noyes82 » 24 Mar 2017 20:26

All,

I'm currently researching my great great grandfather, John Noyes, who served with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers in Egypt in 1882. His service record states that he re-enlisted with the army on 22nd March 1900 and joined "10 R Reserve" with a service number of 369. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what unit "10 R Reserve" was. I'm guessing it was a Royal Reserve unit established during the Boer War. His record also states that he had two periods in hospital with rheumatism in 1900 and 1901. The location of the hospital is given as Holywood. I'm guessing this is Holywood in Ireland. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Robin
Noyes82

Re: 10 Royal Reserve Regiment

Postby Frogsmile » 25 Mar 2017 17:22

Noyes82 wrote:All,

I'm currently researching my great great grandfather, John Noyes, who served with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers in Egypt in 1882. His service record states that he re-enlisted with the army on 22nd March 1900 and joined "10 R Reserve" with a service number of 369. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me what unit "10 R Reserve" was. I'm guessing it was a Royal Reserve unit established during the Boer War. His record also states that he had two periods in hospital with rheumatism in 1900 and 1901. The location of the hospital is given as Holywood. I'm guessing this is Holywood in Ireland. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Robin

Hello Robin, his battalion was the Royal Irish Fusiliers Reserve Battalion of the Royal Reserve Regiment, based at Holywood Barracks, Belfast, Co Down: http://www.nickmetcalfe.co.uk/the-royal ... -regiment/

If you go to the the following thread you can read about another soldier who served with the Royal Reserve Regiment, and it's successor, The Royal Garrison Regiment: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9272
Frogsmile
Forum Fellow

Return to Boer War 1899-1902