5th Punjab Inf. kullah color in 2nd Afghan War

For all discussions relating to the First and Second Afghan Wars of 1839-42 and 1878-80.

5th Punjab Inf. kullah color in 2nd Afghan War

Postby Mad Guru » 20 Dec 2015 09:54

I've been searching for a clue to the color of the kullahs the 5th Punjab Infantry wore under their turbans at the time of the Second Afghan War. I believe their pagris were khaki, and I know their uniforms had green facings. I've also read that the 1886 Regimental Dress Regulations include a reference to the khaki pagris having green fringe, but...

I have yet to find a single mention of the regiment's kullah -- not to mention a color image.

If anyone has any info with regard to the color of 5th Punjab Infantry's kullahs, I'd be forever in your debt if you would please share it!
Mad Guru

Re: 5th Punjab Inf. kullah color in 2nd Afghan War

Postby acanthus » 21 Dec 2015 21:00

In the first instance I must say this is only an educated guess.

As you have already pointed out, later regulations stipulate Khaki (drab) pagris with Emerald Green fringe, noting that this is quite specific; my guess would be that the kullah would also be Khaki (drab) unless otherwise specified.

Maybe a study of Simpkin illustrations would be worthwhile.
acanthus

Postby Maureene » 22 Dec 2015 11:15

For those who are unsure what a kullah is, I found a photo on an online shop Dear Old Blighty
http://www.dearoldblighty.com/viewphoto ... 355&phqu=3
The description is:
Indian Army Other Ranks Issue kullar. The cone section from a turban. This example is possibly WW1 period as it is not tailored with vent holes, as found on later examples

Cheers
Maureen
Maureene
Forum Fellow

Postby acanthus » 23 Dec 2015 10:20

The other point that might be worth considering, is that Sikhs generally didn't wear a Kullah, but instead wore a Pagh under the main Turban; this is often obvious at the top of the forehead as a different colour, in the inverted V created by the turban windings.

Being a Punjab regiment, the composition would surely have consisted of a considerable number of Sikhs.
acanthus

Postby acanthus » 23 Dec 2015 10:20

The other point that might be worth considering, is that Sikhs generally didn't wear a Kullah, but instead wore a Pagh under the main Turban; this is often obvious at the top of the forehead as a different colour, in the inverted V created by the turban windings.

Being a Punjab regiment, the composition would surely have consisted of a considerable number of Sikhs.
acanthus

Postby crimea1854 » 24 Dec 2015 12:18

The following link will take you to a photograph in the NAM collection :http://www.nam.ac.uk/online-collection/detail.php?acc=1955-04-41-35. The standing figure on the far right is shown with a kullah, and although in b&w the shade is nearer that of the sash rather than the fringe, which makes me wonder if it is not red.

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby Mad Guru » 24 Dec 2015 21:32

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post, and a special thanks to Martin for pointing me to that photo, which I must agree leaves the less than definitive but still strong impression that the kullah was red rather than green.
Mad Guru

Return to First & Second Afghan Wars 1839-80