Inyezane: couple of questions

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

Inyezane: couple of questions

Postby sjwalker51 » 27 Aug 2017 17:50

Reading up on No 1 column and the action at Inyezane, hoping those better informed than I can assist on a few details needed to flesh out a future wargame:

How were the Naval Brigade artillery (7lbers, Gatling, 24lber rockets) transported? Limbered, packed on mules or wagons or something else?

How many companies of the 99th were engaged (2?) and what were the names of the company commanders on the day?

Do we have any names of Zulu subordinate or regimental commanders present?

Any advice on detailed sources for information such as this would be much appreciated (think I've got most of the generally available stuff, like 'Fearful Hard Times', 'A Staffordshire Regiment...', etc)

Thanks in anticipation.

Simon
sjwalker51
Participating Member

Re: Inyezane: couple of questions

Postby RobD » 28 Aug 2017 19:21

Hi SJ

From what I have read: the Zulu commander at Nyezane was Chief Godide kaNdlela Ntuli, nearly 70 years old.
The Zulu regiments [amabutho] involved were 40 companies [~2,600 men] of the uMxapho and 15 companies [~1000 men] of older regiments: the uDlambedlu who were aged 58 and the izinGulube who were 55 yrs old.

Good accounts of the Nyezane battle are in:
Ian Knight's "British Infantryman vs Zulu Warrior: Anglo-Zulu War 1879 (Paperback)" and "Great Zulu Battles 1838-1906" as well as in John Laband's "Fight Us in the Open" and Adrian Greaves' "Forgotten Battles of the Zulu War (Hardback)". Then there's the original official history: "Narrative of the Field Operations Connected with the Zulu War of 1879".
All of these are available cheaply on abebooks.

For war gaming the battle, see the 7th scenario at: http://www.hotzartworks.com/BFE_II_Scenarios.pdf

Hope that's a start
Rob
RobD

Re: Inyezane: couple of questions

Postby sjwalker51 » 29 Aug 2017 00:02

Hi Rob

Thanks for your help - sounds like your library is very similar to mine, but I'd not seen the Hotz scenario, for which many thanks as it's always useful to see how other gamers have interpreted the battle.

I've managed to identify a couple of company commanders for the 99th (from 'They Fell like Stones') but I'm not sure exactly which companies of the Buffs were present - I've got the commanders' names but not the company designation (A, B, C etc). Similarly it seems clear that the RN 7lbers were not present at the battle, but it's not clear how many of the NNC companies were there and engaged.

For the Zulus, I'm trying to identify the Indunas subordinate to Godide, that commanded either the Horns or the regiments composing them - got some names from one article but it's not clear if they're authentic or not - probably sufficient for my needs but always good to have them corroborated.

The more I read, it's a fascinating encounter - had circumstances been only slightly different, the British army might well have had 2 disasters on its hands within 1 day!
sjwalker51
Participating Member

Return to Zulu War 1879