A slightly mad question? 1st/24th Equipment.

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

Re: A slightly mad question? 1st/24th Equipment.

Postby mike snook » 29 Nov 2016 14:22

57th imp 2.jpg
57th imp 2.jpg (90.09 KiB) Viewed 201 times

This is as well enhanced as I can make it. The question is, it seems to me, is the light area the top flap of the pouch or the main compartment? If it is the top flap it is too long to be a P1871 ammunition bag. If however it is the main bulk of the pouch then it is about right.

In this enhanced view it looks to me as if the dark area immediately beneath the light area is shadow rather than pouch...ie that the light area is the main compartment and that the flap of the pouch is above it. That being so the item is no longer too long to be a P1871 ammuntion bag. I note also that the general line of the light area is broken at the midway point by a darker shape which seems to me likely to be the quick opening strap of the 71 bag. The line of a P59/66 main cartridge pouch would be dead straight. Finally if this were a large main pouch I think we should, from this angle, be able to see the cross belt running across the man's back. Given this view in evidence, I could be peruaded to testify that the blance of probabilty is that this is a P1871 ammuntion bag. What do people think?

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby mike snook » 29 Nov 2016 17:20

Just for background:

57th Regt arrive Durban ex Ceylon 11 Mar 1879. Last two companies arrive following month. This is about as late as late can be, if a unit is still to play an active role in the AZW. (War ends 4 July at Ulundi).

Ships from England with several units and much ordnance materiel arrive Durban about a week after the 57th.

M
Dr Mike Snook MBE psc
mike snook
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby rd72 » 01 Dec 2016 03:39

In regards to the photo,

mike snook wrote: Finally if this were a large main pouch I think we should, from this angle, be able to see the cross belt running across the man's back.

On this point, I would incline to agree.... P71,... or even some other kind of pouch, but not the older Enfield/Snider pouch.

That said, I can't make out the man's waist belt either.
Cheers,
Rob
rd72

Previous

Return to Zulu War 1879