Possible Zulu war artifacts from a collector's home

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

Possible Zulu war artifacts from a collector's home

Postby garynyc » 11 Dec 2015 17:25

Hi all;

I attended an estate sale in the US--Long Island NY recently and acquired some items from a keen Zulu war collector. he has passed away and his grown children had no interest in the items.

Perhaps some folks could chime in and discuss the possible authentic nature of any of the items and their origins?

Thank you very much,

Gary
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/garynyc/slideshow/
garynyc

Re: Possible Zulu war artifacts from a collector's home

Postby RobD » 12 Dec 2015 11:26

My opinion, for what it's worth:

- the shield is of Zulu (or South African) origin, but isn't old enough, large enough or heavy enough to be from the Anglo Zulu War
- the spear is not of Zulu (or South African) origin

Rob
RobD

Postby garynyc » 12 Dec 2015 13:50

Thanks for your help Rob. A moderator of another board told me the small spear is indeed a Zulu weapon. Are you talking about the large 2 piece spear with the broad head?

As far as the shield goes, the Anglo Boer war museum quotes,

"Contrary to popular belief, the Zulu Impis did not all carry the larger "isihlangu" shield which had been in use since the time of King Shaka.

From the 1850s onwards the young Prince Cetshwayo introduced this smaller lighter version which in battle was easier to use, enabling the Zulu warriors to be swifter in hand to hand combat. By 1879 many of the Impis carried these shields, and they would have been typical of the weaponry used at the battles of Rorke's Drift, Isandlwana, Khambula, Ulundi, etc."
garynyc

Postby RobD » 12 Dec 2015 16:46

Sorry, I meant the 2-piece spear. The small assegai looks like a decent Zulu artefact.
Rob
RobD

Return to Zulu War 1879