A visit to the battlefields of the "Coastal column"

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

A visit to the battlefields of the "Coastal column"

Postby caparkinson » 28 Nov 2015 14:44

Hi guys. I recently returned for a day trip to the battlefields of Nyezane, Eshowe and Gingindlovu. All still worth a visit. I made a little video blog about the visit that some of you may find enjoyable https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKol4bRz8k - If you are heading that way or have nay questions please feel free to drop me a line.
caparkinson

Re: A visit to the battlefields of the "Coastal column"

Postby Mark A. Reid » 28 Nov 2015 15:25

Hello caparkinson:

Thanks so much for posting a link to this fascinating video. I'm sitting here in Canada, -7 C. outside and waiting for the snow to start flying, and I've just been transported to the steamy green hills of Zululand. You've done a marvelous job of tying the ground to the events resulting in an easy-to-follow story. The local farmer was quite interesting and I doubt if I would have corrected any of his artifact identification!

I very much look forward to seeing more of your videos, they're great!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark A. Reid
Veteran Member

Postby Brett Hendey » 29 Nov 2015 07:05

Very well done! Congratulations!
Regards
Brett
Brett Hendey

Postby caparkinson » 30 Nov 2015 07:36

Thanks guys, I really appreciate that feedback. I'm hoping to do Isandlwana and Rorkes Drift early in the new year and then make a start on the Boer war battlefields. Will keep you posted.
caparkinson

Postby Mark » 30 Nov 2015 10:45

Fantastic stuff, Chris! Of course, we now want more video blogs like this! :lol: :D

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby RobD » 01 Dec 2015 17:19

With the exchange rate at R20 == £1, now is the time to be in SA, just as I am doing myself. It is ludicrously cheap!
When you get around to Tabanyama/Spion Kop/Vaalkrans, you could do no better than to stay with Simon and Cheryl Blackburn at "Three Trees at Spionkop" lodge. The experience of walking through the game reserve among white rhino, zebra and giraffe, then ascend Spion Kop for a picnic lunch on the summit, is unforgettable. Simon is an amazing guide and the lodge is superb.
At Magersfontein I would suggest Langberg Guest Farm & Game Lodge, though you'll have to navigate the battlefield on your own, which is no problem since the trench is still as deep as it was in the 1970s, and 7x57 and .303 cartridge cases still easy to find on the surface.
PM me if you want suggestions about itineraries, esp on the Natal front, which has been my hallowed ground for 45 yrs.
Rob
RobD

Postby caparkinson » 04 Dec 2015 21:18

Hi Rob, that's great info and much appreciated. I plan on starting with Talana and Elandslaagte in Feb or March and then see how things go from there. May well be in touch. C
caparkinson

Return to Zulu War 1879