Officers 24th Forage Cap

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

Re: Officers 24th Forage Cap

Postby Stuart_Bates » 09 Nov 2015 09:09

Alex,

I am glad somebody has :D

In fact I corrected an eBay seller's description yesterday and instead of abuse I got a thankful reply saying that he would (and has) removed the listing. An "honest" seller, now who would have though that?

Stuart
PS: let me know what the museum has to say.
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 09 Nov 2015 09:13

Stuart_Bates wrote:Alex,

I am glad somebody has :D

In fact I corrected an eBay seller's description yesterday and instead of abuse I got a thankful reply saying that he would (and has) removed the listing. An "honest" seller, now who would have though that?

Stuart
PS: let me know what the museum has to say.

I shall ask at the museum on my next visit, been a pleasure Stuart.....Thank you.

Alex
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Stuart_Bates » 09 Nov 2015 09:16

Cheers,

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 09 Nov 2015 11:56

Just to add to the mix

I found this interesting image on British Empire site dated 1875 Scots Guards that shows a real mix of types of forage for the time. Quote and image below.

scotsguards1875.jpg
scotsguards1875.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 538 times

This informal group shows a strange assortment of dress. Some of the officers are not Scots Guards. The man in the cocked hat is a staff officer and the man sitting on the ground, second from the left, looks like Army Service Corps. While two of the officers sitting in the middle have the forage cap, others have a service cap with the cap star fixed to the front. One officer, sitting third from the right, wears this with civilian clothes. The frock coat is worn by many of them but one of the men in a forage cap has a shirt and tie. The officer sitting cross legged to the right has a beard which is unusual for this late date but he must be a Crimea veteran which would explain his miniature medals. Normally only medal ribbons were allowed to be worn on the frock coat.
One aspect of the photo is a puzzle. An officer sitting on the left, with a sash on his left shoulder, has a pillbox cap with diced cap-band. The normal forage cap for officers had a peak. Other ranks wore this cap but with a cap star. It is unlikely that this group would include an other rank, improperly dressed or not.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/a ... ds1875.htm

Alex ( John Young )
Last edited by AlexReece on 24 Nov 2015 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
'And Who Do You Think Is Coming To Wipe Out Your Little Command....The Grenadier Guards'
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Stuart_Bates » 09 Nov 2015 23:59

Alex,

fascinating photo. As we well know just about anything goes in the Army, especially when on overseas duty.

I have a floppy forage cap from the Crimea War period and in the NAM's book A Most Desperate Undertaking, which is photo rich of that war, there is the same style of cap without peak, which is noted in the description and attributed to Lt. Hutton if I remember correctly.

Stuart
Light Dragoons Forage Cap.jpg
Light Dragoons Forage Cap.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 10 Nov 2015 12:02

Stuart_Bates wrote:Alex,

fascinating photo. As we well know just about anything goes in the Army, especially when on overseas duty.

I have a floppy forage cap from the Crimea War period and in the NAM's book A Most Desperate Undertaking, which is photo rich of that war, there is the same style of cap without peak, which is noted in the description and attributed to Lt. Hutton if I remember correctly.

Stuart
Light Dragoons Forage Cap.jpg

A fantastic piece Stuart, looks great condition also :)

Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby AlexReece » 11 Nov 2015 19:22

Just had to post these images of Teignmouth Melvill VC 1877 adorning his 24th Forage with Sphinx & Gonville Bromhead 1872 VC.....

TeignmouthMelvill 1877.jpg
TeignmouthMelvill 1877.jpg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 519 times

GonvilleBromhead 1872.jpg
GonvilleBromhead 1872.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 518 times

Alex

With Kind Permission John Young.
Last edited by AlexReece on 25 Nov 2015 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Stuart_Bates » 11 Nov 2015 21:04

Good photos and which illustrate the adoption of the Sphinx around 1874.

Stuart
Stuart_Bates
Veteran Member

Postby AlexReece » 11 Nov 2015 21:24

Stuart_Bates wrote:Good photos and which illustrate the adoption of the Sphinx around 1874.

Stuart

Yes indeed Stuart...

I know we have all seen these iconic images before, but I thought was a must for this topic.

Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Isandlwana » 24 Nov 2015 10:33

Alex,

Permit me to moan, if you will.

If you use material from my collection to illustrate a point would please attribute it to me.

Moan over.

Regarding the Scots Guards group there were no officers in the Army Service Corps at the time the photograph was taken, the officer with the double white stripe on his trousers is from the Commissariat & Transport Department.

John Young.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby AlexReece » 24 Nov 2015 18:26

Isandlwana wrote:Alex,

Permit me to moan, if you will.

If you use material from my collection to illustrate a point would please attribute it to me.

Moan over.

Regarding the Scots Guards group there were no officers in the Army Service Corps at the time the photograph was taken, the officer with the double white stripe on his trousers is from the Commissariat & Transport Department.

John Young.

Hello John

I'm sincerely sorry I did not know that was your material, your moan is correctly justified.
I can remove for you ? do you have an opinion on the 24th forage that resides in Brecon Museum ?

Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Postby Isandlwana » 24 Nov 2015 23:36

Alex,

If you found the image through Wiki they should be attributed to my collection.

I have no problem with the images of Melvill & Bromhead remaining but with due acknowledgement, as you are using them to refute the authenticity of the item on display at the Museum of the Royal Welsh at Brecon.

To the best of my recollection the forage cap is not on display in the Zulu War Room, without seeing where in the museum it is I am loathed to make comment. That said in my opinion it is certainly not the usual forage cap of an officer in the 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment.

John Y.
Not theirs to save the day but where they stood, falling, to dye the earth
with brave men's blood for England's sake and duty...
Isandlwana
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby AlexReece » 25 Nov 2015 18:21

John

Yes you are correct in saying that the cap is in the adjacent room and displayed near items of the SWB and some other 24th items ie side cap image below.

DSC_6378 (700x469).jpg
DSC_6378 (700x469).jpg (313.17 KiB) Viewed 463 times

DSC_1008 (470x700).jpg
DSC_1008 (470x700).jpg (309.61 KiB) Viewed 463 times

Regards Alex
AlexReece
Participating Member

Previous

Return to Zulu War 1879