'Rorke's Drift - A New Perspective' - Now released

For all discussions relating to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879.

'Rorke's Drift - A New Perspective' - Now released

Postby nthornton1979 » 20 Nov 2016 21:03

Hi all,

Mark has kindly allowed me to post that my book on Rorke's Drift is now available to buy.

There's quite a bit of new material in there including some previously untapped accounts from key defenders. I have also found further information on things such as the specifics behind what Hitch and Allen did to stand out above other defenders in contributing to the hospital action. There is information on the skirmishers who went out prior to the battle (ie - who led them and where they went), and information on what happened to Fagan (when/where he was hit), amongst other things.

The 'new perspective' stems from my findings regarding the hospital action.

It can be found in all the usual places (Amazon, Waterstones etc), and also direct from the publisher (Fonthill Media)

Further information and images of the content can be found here - http://fonthillmedia.com/epages/a72b332 ... D=16627734

Cheers
Neil
nthornton1979

Re: 'Rorke's Drift - A New Perspective' - Now released

Postby Poltroon » 21 Jan 2017 10:40

Hi Neil,

Just wanted to say that I recently bought and read your new book and that I enjoyed it immensely. It's great that writers such as yourself are keeping the history of Rorke's Drift alive and still seek to re-examine the evidence in order to present new angles of thought and discussion.
The book had a good narrative flow and was highly readable so congratulations on a job well done.

Looking forward to your next publication.

Billy
Poltroon

Postby Waggoner » 21 Jan 2017 23:13

I see that Amazon.com has the book for kindle.

Neil, before I purchase it, were you able to find the DCM citation for the ASC chap, Attwood?
All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Waggoner » 23 Jan 2017 02:12

Just bought a copy...in honour of the day!

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Mark » 23 Jan 2017 10:18

I have Neil's book lined up for my next read. I have heard many good things about this title!

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Waggoner » 23 Jan 2017 12:56

I scanned it last evening...it does look very interesting. Finally found out what Attwood did to earn his DCM.

All the best,

Gary
Gary Campbell
Nil Sine Labore
OMRS 4556, MCCofC 782
Waggoner
Veteran Member

Postby Derbys » 23 Jan 2017 13:36

Really enjoyed the book, Neil. Particularly the new perspective on the escape from the hospital and the DCMs, as most books focus in just the VCs.
Derbys
Participating Member

Postby nthornton1979 » 23 Jan 2017 16:43

Poltroon wrote:Hi Neil,

Just wanted to say that I recently bought and read your new book and that I enjoyed it immensely. It's great that writers such as yourself are keeping the history of Rorke's Drift alive and still seek to re-examine the evidence in order to present new angles of thought and discussion.
The book had a good narrative flow and was highly readable so congratulations on a job well done.

Looking forward to your next publication.

Billy

Hello Billy,

Thanks for the positive feedback. It's very much appreciated and good to hear.

Cheers
Neil.
nthornton1979

Postby nthornton1979 » 23 Jan 2017 16:45

Mark wrote:I have Neil's book lined up for my next read. I have heard many good things about this title!

Mark

Cheers Mark,

I'm currently reading Pathan Rising and thoroughly enjoying it. The only downer is my reading time is at a minimum due to deadlines on writing!

Neil
nthornton1979

Postby nthornton1979 » 23 Jan 2017 16:52

Waggoner wrote:I scanned it last evening...it does look very interesting. Finally found out what Attwood did to earn his DCM.

All the best,

Gary

Thanks Gary. Attwood was the talk of the garrison after the event, with Mabin even saying that the preservation of the camp hung on him, or rather his shot that brought down the Zulu who was lighting the thatch. Hopefully some of the information on him is of interest.

Neil
nthornton1979

Postby nthornton1979 » 23 Jan 2017 17:10

Derbys wrote:Really enjoyed the book, Neil. Particularly the new perspective on the escape from the hospital and the DCMs, as most books focus in just the VCs.

Many thanks Derbys, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The DCMs are something I had always wanted to explore further. For me it was very pleasing to be able to piece together the actions of Private Roy who in my opinion acted pretty remarkably since he was under no obligation to stay behind. Incidentally, since going to print, I have found a contemporary illustration of him in action which fully supports my findings.

Yes, the hospital theory does drastically change the entire hospital action. I have received quite a bit of feedback about it and am pleased (and relieved!) that all those who have contacted me support the new conclusion.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Neil
nthornton1979

Postby Mark » 24 Jan 2017 09:56

nthornton1979 wrote:
Mark wrote:I have Neil's book lined up for my next read. I have heard many good things about this title!

Mark

Cheers Mark,

I'm currently reading Pathan Rising and thoroughly enjoying it. The only downer is my reading time is at a minimum due to deadlines on writing!

Neil

Neil

I feel your pain! I am currently writing a VC related article for a military history magazine, and time is running out! It is a Victorian VC so will let the forum membership know when it is published.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby nthornton1979 » 24 Jan 2017 20:38

Excellent - please do keep me informed Mark.

I have one to submit shortly too, but as of yet I haven't even started it! I'm still plugging away on my next Fonthill effort.

Neil
nthornton1979

Postby ragbones » 28 Jan 2017 02:04

Thoroughly enjoyed Neil's book. I think his account of the fighting is one of the best I've read. His 'defense' of Lt.'s Chard and Bromhead were right on the mark. Well done!
ragbones

Postby Mark » 13 Feb 2017 09:53

I am still reading this book - my own writing has slowed my reading - but so far I am rather impressed!

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Return to Zulu War 1879