Pipers Of The Highland Regiments Question

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Pipers Of The Highland Regiments Question

Postby Larmo » 01 Jun 2017 17:07

I've been looking to find a copy of this elusive book with no luck so far, at present it appears to be made of unobtanium. Would a kind soul on the forum who has a copy be willing to look up an individual for me? It would be very much appreciated.
The man concerned, is one James Hendrie, or Hennerie who served with the 79th in the Crimea.

Many thanks in advance...

Larry
Larmo

Re: Pipers Of The Highland Regiments Question

Postby jf42 » 01 Jun 2017 18:26

Well, unobtainium it must be. I was about to offer to order it at the British Library but it appears they don't have it.
jf42
Senior Veteran member

Postby Larmo » 01 Jun 2017 19:09

thank you for your consideration though, that was kind of you. I've looked at amazon, abe books, addall books...none to be had. Perhaps one will show up on Ebay some day :wink:
Larmo

Postby Ron Abbott » 02 Jun 2017 02:04

Larry,

I've been trying to get a copy for ages as well !

As for Hendrie/Hennerie.......add Henrie to the list.....that is if he was 3432 James Henrie as spelled in the medal rolls for the 79th in Crimea.

His death (name spelled as James Hendrie) is reported in 24th April 1905 and 25th April 1905 editions of The Scotsman and the 25th of the Press & Journal. Mentions that he had joined the 79th in his teens and had served at Inkerman and Balaklava. Adds that he was originally from Edinburgh and died in Edinburgh but, (quote) 'had not a long connection with the army'.

For the 35 years prior to his death, it says that he had worked for the Vulcanite Co. in Edinburgh.

Similar information appears in other newspapers in April 1905.

The various census records have his DOB recorded as about 1838 (name spelled as James Hendrie and with wife called Margaret). Appears to have been involved in the making of vulcanite combs according to the census records.

Likewise, Scotland's People has his death recorded for 1905 (aged 67) and named spelled as James Hendrie.

Cheers/Ron
Ron Abbott

Postby Larmo » 02 Jun 2017 03:20

Hi Ron

Thank you, that it excellent information...and yes, it is 3432 Henrie that I am hoping to find proof of being a Piper. I also viewed the different spellings of his name on Ancestry in the 79th rolls, but little else online. Your information certainly fills in his later years nicely...many thanks..

Larry
Larmo

Postby Ron Abbott » 02 Jun 2017 04:57

Larmo wrote:Hi Ron

Thank you, that it excellent information...and yes, it is 3432 Henrie that I am hoping to find proof of being a Piper. I also viewed the different spellings of his name on Ancestry in the 79th rolls, but little else online. Your information certainly fills in his later years nicely...many thanks..

Larry

Larry, no problem, you can access the newspaper articles via FMPs.
The 25th April 1905 one in the P & J is good.
The newspaper article actually refers to him as Piper James Hendrie and more specifically that he was 'a piper of the regiment' (the 79th).

Ron
Ron Abbott

Postby Larmo » 02 Jun 2017 13:25

Thanks again Ron, fun, that we look for information from one source, only to discover that what is sought after is available in another. Just proves the value of forums such as this one...and, the willingness of others to share the information. Thank you.

I also have a FMP account, but seldom do I look in the magazine/news article section, seems if I cannot find his service records I do not delve any deeper. Bad Larry, bad...I must learn not to be in such a hurry. :lol:

Larry

PS, just checked on FMP and found the articles you mentioned...great.
Larmo

Postby Ron Abbott » 03 Jun 2017 01:19

He gets a mention as Piper J Hendrie, 79th in this old book (282 : Personal Adventures Anecdotes) as well : -

https://archive.org/stream/personaladventur00roberich/personaladventur00roberich_djvu.txt
Ron Abbott

Postby Larmo » 03 Jun 2017 03:42

Thank you Ron, thank you very much. Just went to Ebay UK and found a volume published in 1906...purchased it, and anxious to begin the read. As you kindly provided via the link, there is an online version, but the old books have a certain "soul" to them.

Best

Larry
Larmo

Return to Crimean War 1854-56