Private 3775 Peter Gough, 4th Kings Own Regiment

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Private 3775 Peter Gough, 4th Kings Own Regiment

Postby Paul knowles » 11 Feb 2018 18:29

Hello Forum,

Can anyone please help. I am trying to find out if Private No: 3775. Peter Gough, 4th Kings Own, was entitled to Alma and Inkerman clasps to his Crimea Medal. I can find him on the Roll for October 1855 which confirms his Sebastopol clasp but the previous Roll is to faint to read.

Any information whatsoever regarding Peter Gough would be wonderful.

Many thanks for your help.

Paul
Paul knowles

Re: Private 3775 Peter Gough, 4th Kings Own Regiment

Postby almaboy » 12 Feb 2018 09:45

Paul
Pte Gough doesn't appear to be on the rolls for Alma or Inkermann despite them being almost illegible. As there are no annotations against his entry on the Sebastopol roll, I think it is safe to assume that he was not wounded, sent home sick or died. The fact that he received a Turkish Crimea medal would tend to support the latter, as this particular medal was not awarded to NOK of deceased soldiers as a rule.

There are no service papers extant so it is possible that he died in service after the Crimean war, or left the Army at the earliest opportunity. A search of the muster rolls at Kew would be the only way of ascertaining this for certain.

Tony.,
almaboy

Re: Private 3775 Peter Gough, 4th Kings Own Regiment

Postby Paul knowles » 12 Feb 2018 14:05

Hi Tony, Many thanks for taking the time to look. I agree, it looks by the Roll that he was only entitled to the Sebastopol clasp. How do I search the Muster Rolls?

Also I do indeed have his engraved Turkish Crimea Medal, British issue, I have just bought it so very keen to find out as much as possible about him.

So by virtue of his engraved Turkish Crimea, he survived the war, but no service papers.

Not to sure what to do next

Thank you again Tony

Paul
Paul knowles

Return to Crimean War 1854-56