Grenadier Guards colours carried at Inkerman.

For all discussions relating to the Crimean War of 1854-56.

Grenadier Guards colours carried at Inkerman.

Postby cass402 » 20 Jun 2017 12:23

Good morning,
i have recently began construction and painting of a superb set of 1/32nd figures by Moz Corry based on Lady Butlers painting "The Roll Call". A hypothetical set shows the colours being inspected by officers at the rear of the parade. I have a few queries regarding the colours carried at Inkerman. Do these colours still exist? and if so where are they laid up? The model depicts the portcullis as the central device on the Queens/Kings colour which would indicate the 4th company...is this accurate?
Apologies if this has been asked before.
Regards
Paul
cass402

Re: Grenadier Guards colours carried at Inkerman.

Postby crimea1854 » 20 Jun 2017 13:51

Not an answer to your question, but if you follow the link and scroll down to the bottom of the thread, you will see my effort using the Alexander figures of the same group. On reflection I would now move around the composition a little, but in the main I'm quite happy with the result.

http://victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3692

Martin
crimea1854
Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » 02 Aug 2017 19:56

Hi! I just saw your post, and it's interesting that you mention these particular colours. I, too, have been trying to track these down, as I would like to see a picture of them. General George Higginson wrote in his autobiography that the Grenadier Guards' colours from Inkerman were put into the Guards' Chapel in London. Apparently, the chapel is still full of colours, as is evident from the photo on their website:
http://www.householddivision.org.uk/guards-chapel-standards

I've tried to e-mail them about these particular colours but received no response. You could try contacting them, though. Maybe I wrote at a bad time. If you get an answer, I'd appreciate hearing what you find out.

Thanks!
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby cass402 » 04 Aug 2017 09:05

Hello Martin and Sarah,
it would appear that the answer was in front of me the whole time...in Michael Barthorp's Crimean Uniforms. Basically the 3rd Bn carried the 3rd company's Regimental colour- Crown over fleur-de-lys with a roman three in dexter canton. I had the book all along but thought it only contained the uniform details...helps if you read all the text i guess.
Attachments
roll call 2_copy.jpg
roll call 2_copy.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 78 times
roll call 1.jpg
roll call 1.jpg (127.96 KiB) Viewed 78 times
cass402

Return to Crimean War 1854-56